We remind all Craigburn families and friends of the Bushfire Ready Procedures we have in place in the event of the Country Fire Service (CFS) declaring a ‘Catastrophic’ fire danger rating or an ‘Extreme / Severe’ fire danger rating for the Mt Lofty Ranges.
The State Government will close high-risk public schools in specific fire ban districts on days where the fire danger index is forecast at 100 or more – Catastrophic (Fire Danger Rating).
This means that Craigburn Primary School and the Out of School Hours Care Service (OSHC) will close when the fire danger rating for the Mt Lofty Ranges is Catastrophic. No staff or students will attend Craigburn Primary School or OSHC on this day.
Parents / carers should make provision for the care of their child/ren on days declared at a Catastrophic Level, within their family’s personal bushfire action plan.
Confirmation of the school and OSHC closure is provided by the CFS on the day before the school is to close, usually after 4.00pm.
Parents and carers can use the following forms of communication to determine if the school and OSHC will be closed on the following day:
- letters handed out to all students on the days if the alert is received prior to school dismissal
- information posted on the school website – www.craigburn.sa.edu.au and / or Craigburn Facebook Page
- the Bureau of Meteorology – www.bom.gov.au/weather/sa
- the Country Fire Service – www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_restrictions/fire_bans.jsp
- message left on the school answering machine
- information provided by the evening television and radio news services – please note this is for the Mt Lofty Ranges District
A sandwich board will be placed on the school’s front fence adjacent to the main school entrance off Murrays Hill Rd.
We ask that families network with each other where possible.
On days where the fire danger rating is ‘Extreme or Severe’ we enact our school’s Bushfire Action Plan, where in the event of a bushfire approaching the school, all people on site will be instructed to move to the Bushfire Refuge, being our school gym / hall.
This refuge is different to the CFS Community Refuge. The Parent Helpline Number is 1800 000 279