Welcome back to school for Term 2. It has been pleasing to see students share their holiday experiences and settle back into the swing of school life. Special welcome to all new students families starting at Craigburn.
5 Way Swing
Talking about swings – no doubt, your child has shared with you the news of our new 5-way swing on the oval playground. Whilst the 5-way swing is located in the Primary playground (Years 3-7), students in Reception to Year 2 are able to use the new swing when outside with their classes and teachers, as well as after school when supervised by a parent. Students have considered and discussed issues such as safety and taking turns, so that all children can access the swings in a safe and fair manner. Thank you again to all school families whose collective fundraising efforts have enabled us to purchase and install this play equipment. Stay tuned for updates regarding our next play area upgrade.
Lunch Play Breaks
In Term 1, we trialled split lunch breaks for students in Reception / Year 1 and Years 2 to 7. The purpose being to support our younger students with learning how to confidently access and utilise outdoor play areas. This also gave us the opportunity to observe how the Year 2 – 7 students use outdoor spaces at lunchtimes. Nearing the end of Term 1, staff engaged in a constructive review of the trial exploring both the benefits and challenges of how all school students play safely at lunch.
In moving forward we want to make sure that all students can safely use and share outdoor spaces at lunchtime through unstructured, structured (clubs and games) and nature play. As a result, we have reverted back to our traditional lunch break where students are supervised eating their lunch from 1.00pm and then move to a 40 minute play break from 1.10pm to 1.50pm where they return to classes for the afternoon.
As posted last term, Kathy Terrell (Principal) is on leave for Term 2, spending time in the UK and travelling through Europe. I am acting principal for the term, with Rob Warncken as acting deputy principal. Backfilling Rob’s senior leader role are Year 6/7 teachers Andrea Grant and Hazel Robertson. Both Andrea and Hazel will be released for leadership work, for 15 days each over the course of the term. We wish them well in their senior leaders’ roles. Karen Pettman, our specialist PE teacher is on leave for the first 5 weeks, with Geoff James taking on this teaching role. We are fortunate to have Geoff who was our long serving Year 6/7 and PE teacher in the early and mid 2000s.
Dates to Remember
As usual we have a very busy term ahead – we ask that parents and caregivers take note of school events and activities via our online school calendar.
Important dates to note include:
- Tuesday 10th Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th May – Week 2 – NAPLAN
- Friday 20th May – Week 3 – SAPSASA Cross Country
- Monday 23rd May – Week 4 – Finance Committee 6.15pm followed by Governing Council 7.15pm
- Wednesday 25th May – Week 4 – Year 2/3/4 Assembly at 10.00am – Reception/Year 1 Assembly at 2.15pm
- Thursday 26th May – Week 4 – Wackyathon
- Friday 27th May – Week 4 – Pupil Free Day – Professional Learning Day focus – Reading Comprehension with leading education consultant
- Friday 3rd June – Week 5 – Year 5/6/7 Assembly 2.15pm
- Sunday 5th – Thursday 9th June – Week 6 – Year 7 Canberra Camp
- Friday 10th June – Week 6 – Pupil Free Day – Professional Learning Day focus – The Art and Science of Teaching
- Monday 13th June – Week 7 – Public Holiday, Queens Birthday
- Wednesday 22nd June – Week 8 – Year 2/3/4 Assembly at 10.00am – Reception/Year 1 Assembly at 2.15pm
- Friday 24th June – Week 8 – Year 5/6/7 Assembly 2.15pm
- Monday 27th June – Week 9 – Finance Committee 6.15pm followed by Governing Council 7.15pm
Please note – 4 x Pupil Free Days granted to schools each year for the purpose of professional learning linked with the Australian Curriculum.
A big thank you to our wonderful fundraising team who ran the Mothers Day stall today – there were many goodies purchased by students who will surprise their mums on Sunday.
Best wishes and happy Mothers Day to all Mums, Grandmothers, Aunties and important women who play a motherly role in you and your family’s lives.