Principal News Post – Growth Mindsets

You may have heard your child/ren talk about ‘Growth Mindsets’ when they come from school. Growth Mindsets has become a familiar term in education circles over recent years and refers to the work of world-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, who talks about Mindsets. Recently, Carol Dweck has called for a more nuanced understanding of Mindsets.

On the first day of Term 3 our entire school staff joined teachers from Braeview School and Flagstaff Oval Kindergarten to listen and learn from Australia’s leading Growth Mindset trainer, James Anderson.

James’s presentation demystified much of the ‘social media’ view regarding growth mindsets and explored the deeper underpinnings of Dweck’s work. Simply praising effort, celebrating learning mistakes and engaging in self-talk strategies have their place, however to be most effective we need to explore and think about the learning dispositions that take place along a fixed to growth mindset continuum.

Looking at the infographic below, you should be able to see what needs to happen to move from a fixed to a growth mindset. This is the work and learning we are engaging in to support our students’ learning at Craigburn.

Learners (students and adults too) with a fixed mindset believe that you are born either smart or not smart, talented or not talented. They say things like:

‘I cant do that!’

‘It doesn’t matter how hard I try I won’t never be good at ……’

‘I could never be like her,  she was born a singer’  or ‘I wasn’t born with a brain for being smart at maths’

Learners with a growth mindset have a different view in that they know there is no such thing as smart or not smart.  With the right mindset, effort and practice we can learn to do anything.

Learners with a growth mindset say things like:

‘I will be able to pass that test if I spend enough time practising.’

‘If I spend an hour every afternoon playing the piano I will make it into the concert band.’

‘If I make it a habit to use my diary every day I will become more organised.’

To achieve excellence takes years of learning, a commitment to practice and forming habits that lead to success.

You can support your child/ren by looking at the following websites for parent hints.

https://www.mindsetkit.org/growth-mindset-parents

https://afineparent.com/mindset/growth-mindset-introduction.html