Thanks for taking the time to read through this update as well as other recent news posts. The 2017 school year is quickly drawing to a close, though there is still much happening over the final two weeks.
Deputy Principal Position
It gives me great pleasure to announce that Rob Warncken has been appointed as Deputy Principal for the next four years. Rob has provided strong and supportive leadership at Craigburn over the last five years as both Senior Leader and Acting Deputy Principal in 2016. Congratulations Rob on your appointment.
Trevor Arney, who has been Deputy Principal for 2017, finishes his 12 month tenure at Craigburn. We thank Trevor for supporting the leadership of the school over this time as well as teaching the Year 5 class (with Mrs Tamsar Bellette) on Thursdays and Fridays. We wish Trevor all the best for his next appointment.
- We farewell Kristen Bowden who has been with us at Craigburn for the last few years, teaching students / classes in the lower primary years. Kristen is set to join the Belair School community in an ongoing position from the start of 2018. We especially thank Kristen for her efforts in providing teacher leadership to our environmental programs including coordinating the Garden Club on Fridays. We wish Kristen all the best for the future.
- Current Reception teachers, Emma Harry and Genna Dow, will not be with us in 2018. Emma is taking 12 months maternity / parenting leave for the year. We look forward to hearing news of a safe and healthy arrival in March. Genna will also be away for 12 months, where she will be living and working abroad in England. We wish Genna safe and happy travels.
- Performing Arts teacher Kerry Rayner is taking the first two terms off next year on long service leave. We wish Kerry all the best for her time away.
- We welcome Pearl Somerset-Swanson to Craigburn, who joins us in an ongoing position. Pearl has been teaching at Braeview School and is very much looking forward to joining us in 2018.
- We are waiting on news from DECD Human Resources to finalise a number of contract teacher appointments to Craigburn. We expect this to occur soon, and are hopeful of retaining our current teacher contracts. I’m sure that students, staff and families will provide a warm welcome to all new staff.
On Wednesday 13th December after Recess, students will have the opportunity to meet with their new teacher / class for 2018.
We are nearing the end of our class placement process for 2018. This has involved many hours of configuring classes, and in consideration of a range of factors including student friendships, student learning and social needs, teacher professional knowledge and judgment and parent input. This is a complex exercise and we strive to make the best decisions possible given this information.
Our aim is to ensure all students are in an optimal learning situation. We therefore ask for parent support and understanding when classes are announced in the last week of term on Wednesday 13th December. A letter containing your child’s new class and end of year report will go home on this day.
Due to the amount of work that has gone into the final configuration of classes, we will not be in a position to move students.
We have just completed the last of our Transition sessions for Receptions starting at Craigburn in 2018. Special thanks to our volunteer parent, Lisa Barkham, for her excellent work in helping coordinate the transition program and in welcoming new families.
Next year we begin with 20 classes, one more than this year. With healthy numbers of students enrolling in the early years along with smaller cohort of upper primary students graduating in 2017/18, we expect this to remain or possibly grow in 2019.
End of Year Student Reports
Over several weeks, teachers have been busy writing end of year student reports based on the growth and achievement of learning aligned with the Australian Curriculum. When receiving your child’s report on Wednesday 13th December, we trust that you will take time to share in your child’s successes and discuss areas for future growth.
Craigburn’s Got Talent
We are all looking forward to Craigburn’s Got Talent on Tuesday 5th December, which again promises to be an enjoyable event. We have many talented students at Craigburn, who have been rehearsing and refining their acts, ready for the big day on Tuesday. Details here.
Last Day – Early Closure 12.30pm
Please don’t forget that we close at 12.30pm on the last day of term – Friday 15th December. The Governing Council has endorsed this plan in lieu of early dismissals in Terms 1, 2 and 3. The OSHC service is available from this time.
Volunteer ‘Thank You’ Morning Tea
We look forward to sharing in a community morning tea on Thursday morning, 7th December from 10.50am in the school hall, to say thank you to all parents, caregivers and friends who have volunteered throughout the year. Our school and children really benefit from the wonderful support we receive. A news blog post was published last week. For catering purposes please inform the school if you are joining us for this event.
We also look forward to a special gathering of our school community on Monday 11th December where we join together to celebrate the year that was, through song and dance performances by our classes. Please refer to the recent news post with details.
Year 7 Graduation
At this time of the year, we say farewell to our Year 7 students (and some families too) who will participate in a Graduation dinner and ceremony on Wednesday evening 13th December. This is a special time for students, staff and families where we acknowledge and celebrate the participation of all Year 7 students who have been a central part of our school community over many years.
End of Year Assembly
We will have our traditional ‘End of Year Farewell Assembly’ at 10.00am on Friday 15th December. This is a time where we show gratitude for our collective work and efforts throughout the year, as well as farewelling our Year 7 students and other students / staff who are leaving. All parents and friends are welcome to attend.
Parent Opinion Survey
Each year as part of our annual reporting processes to the school community, feedback is gathered from parents, students and staff about the organisation and running of the school. It’s once again that time of the year where we invite you to provide us with feedback about the school via the online Parent Opinion Survey, which is available for all parents to complete.
The survey is available from today, Sunday 3rd December through to midnight on Friday 15th December 2017
Please click on the link below to complete the survey and enter the following code m9YWfpEe
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Your feedback is valued.
The findings of the parent, student and staff surveys will be reported to the school community via the Annual Report for 2017.