Welcome back to the new school year, with the first day back for students set for Monday 29th January.
I trust everyone enjoyed a safe and happy summer break. I’m sure your child / children are looking forward to reconnecting with school friends, old and new – and their teachers too!
A special welcome to the new reception students and families starting school at Craigburn for the first time. Please note – the new reception family picnic for Sunday afternoon 28th January has been cancelled due to the high forecasted temperature.
Our support staff and teachers have already been back at school busily preparing for the new school year.
At the end of the last school term, we were awaiting confirmation of our school’s senior leader position, which was externally advertised (previously held by Rob Warncken, now Deputy Principal).
This position was confirmed to us the following week, with the appointment of Mrs Hazel Robertson. We congratulate Hazel who will work in the senior leader position on Thursdays and Fridays each week, and remain as a Year 6/7 classroom teacher on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We are very fortunate to regain the services of Mr John Spurr who will teach Mrs Robertson’s class on Thursdays and Fridays. Mr Spurr is an experienced middle-years teacher who has worked at Craigburn over several years.
Andrea Grant will be working 0.8 in 2018, which means she will be working 4 out of 5 days each week. John Spurr will be the class teacher on Wednesdays.
As mentioned previously, we welcome five new teaching staff to Craigburn for 2018.
- Tahlia Woolford
- Nardene Manna
- Amy Bennett
- Pearl Abram
- Elizabeth McDonald
We are fortunate to retain the excellent services of the following teachers who continue in contract positions for 2018 – Janis O’Keefe, Tamsar Bellette, Jodie Fischer, Ros Williams and Geoff James.
Staff List for 2018 – including class structures and locations
- Reception – Miss Tahlia Woolford – D20
- Reception – Mrs Lynne Grimmer – D21
- Reception – Ms Nardene Manna – D22
- Year 1 – Mrs Stephanie Hook – E23
- Year 1 – Mrs Adriana Mezic (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs) and Mrs Karen Prideaux (Fridays) – E24
- Year 1 – Miss Terri Green – E25
- Year 2 – Mrs Anita Pinkster – A1
- Year 2 – Miss Renae Humphrys – A3
- Year 2 – Miss Lisa Sporn – A4
- Year 3/4 – Mrs Pearl Abram (formerly Somerset-Swanson) – A6
- Year 3/4 – Mrs Janis O’Keefe – C17
- Year 3/4 – Mrs Veronica Khalaf – C15
- Year 3/4 – Mr Mike Hanna – C16
- Year 3/4 – Miss Amy Bennett – C14 Terms 1 (against Miss Chantelle McMahon)
- Year 5 – Mrs Rebecca Hepworth – B11
- Year 5 – Mrs Tamsar Bellette D18
- Year 5/6 – Miss Jodie Fischer – B8
- Year 6/7 – Mrs Hazel Robertson (Mon, Tues, Wed) and Mr John Spurr (Thurs, Fri)– B11
- Year 6/7 – Miss Andrea Grant (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) and Mr John Spurr (Wednesdays) – B12
- Year 6/7 – Mr Mark Lemmey – B13
- Elizabeth McDonald – Terms 1 and 2 (Kerry Rayner) – Performing Arts
- Karen Pettman, Geoff James – Physical Education
- Carly Smith – German
- Ros Williams, Karen Prideaux – Science
School Service Officers (SSOs)
- Vivienne Menere – Finance
- Heather McLean – Front Office Admin
- Chelsee Clarke – Finance / Canteen / OSHC / Front Office Admin
- Heather Reid, Aileen Nagy, Bronwyn Johnson, Lorraine Lohmeyer, Jane Graham, Julianne Lehmann, Krystal Playford – Learning Support
- Travis Nuske – ICT
- Paul Kennedy – Grounds
- Kate Washington – Garden Specialist
- Paul Luke – Principal
- Rob Warncken – Deputy Principal
- Hazel Robertson – Senior Leader (Mon, Tues, Wed)
Material and Services Charges
Thank you to the families who responded to our Materials and Services charges poll for 2018, where school fees remain set at $400 from 2017. From the responses we received, 77% of parents voted in favour of endorsing the proposal that the full amount of Materials & Service charge of $400 be legally recoverable. Parents and caregivers will receive information about this when invoices are sent home.
Daily Timetable – Minor Changes
At the end of last year, staff unanimously supported a minor change to the daily timetable where recess play will be extended by 10 minutes and lunch play shortened by 10 minutes. Start and dismissal times remain the same. The daily instruction time for students remains at the required 320 minutes.
The revised timetable:
- 8.30am Students permitted on school grounds
- 8.50am Lessons commence
- 10.50am Recess
- 11.20am Lessons recommence
- 12.50pm Lunch Eating
- 1.00pm Lunch Play
- 1.30pm Lessons recommence
- 3.10pm Dismissal
- The amendment has allowed us to restructure specialist lesson times to increase from 40 – 50 minutes, where class teachers have non-instruction / preparation time.
- A shorter lunch play and longer recess play supports our SunSmart Policy.
- A longer recess enables all teachers to have a minimum 15 minute break.
Landscaping Project / Staff Car Park
No doubt if you have driven past the school lately, you would have noticed the construction work at the front entrance of the school. We look forward to the new paths, steps, bin enclosure and landscaping work being completed mid-term.
In the interim, we ask all parents and caregivers who take students to OSHC to refrain from using the staff car park after 8.00am in the mornings or prior to 4.00pm in the afternoon as we would like to minimise vehicle congestion whilst the construction fencing is in place. Parking is available in the school drop off zones at these times. Please also refrain from double-parking. Disabled access remains available. Thank you for your support.
Looking forward seeing students and families back at school on Monday.