Resource Centre News

Dear Parents and Caregivers

Hi, my name is Sue Jones and I am working both in Leadership at Craigburn and the Resource Centre.  I have many years of experience in both areas and I am very excited to be here.  I started here mid way through Term 3 and am finding the school a lovely place to be.

I would like to let you all know of some upcoming events in the Resource Centre for Term 3.

Book Week is 17th – 24th August

Book Week Incursion Thursday 16th August

• This year’s Book Week Theme is Find your Treasure.  On Thursday 16th August we will be having a school incursion where authors and illustrators will visit the school to talk to students about being an author and/or illustrator.
  • Workshops will be held from Reception to Year 7.  Reception to Year 2 students will spend a 45 minutes with Amanda Graham and Kelly Hibbert where they will share a story and create a book illustration by working with Amanda on how to create an illustration for a book.
  • Years 3 -5 will be involved with workshops with Adam Cece using IT and talking about being an author.  Years 6 and 7 will be involved in a session with Allayne Webster who will also talk about being an author and the creative writing process.  She will also start a creative writing session with students for them to take back to their classes to complete as time permits.
  • We are also very fortunate to have Claire Richards, Illustrator, here for the day working in the Resource Centre creating a piece of artwork based on the Book Week Theme of Find Your Treasure so that students can pop in and see a work in progress from beginning to end.  The finished work will then be displayed in the Resource Centre for all students to see.
  • The cost of the incursion is $6.50 and invoices will be coming home soon.

Book Week Dress Up Parade

• More information on this will be available very soon so please watch this space.

Book Fair Thursday 23rd August to Tuesday 28th August

• This year we will again be holding our annual Book Fair.  The Resource Centre will be open at 8.30am each day for before school purchases and until 3.30pm each afternoon.
  • Your child will be able to pop into the Resource Centre throughout the Book Fair to write up a Wish List to take home.
  • If you wish to purchase any of the books you can then send the money to school with your child/ren and they will be able to make their purchases.  The school receives a bonus reward to be used to purchase additional books for the Resource Centre from the amount of total sales.
  • I will be organising “lucky door” prizes to give to winning students.  These will be a book of their choice. Winners will be notified by Tuesday lunch time so that they are able to select their prize prior to packing up the Fair.

Premier’s Reading Challenge

• This is well underway with some students already handing in their completed forms.  My aim is to encourage all students to participate so that Craigburn Primary School fully supports this great challenge.
  • Medals do not usually arrive until Term 4 but I will keep you informed of progress.

Knitting Club

• I have managed to purchase some knitting kits for $2 to set up a knitting group in the Resource Centre at lunchtimes on Monday and Thursday.  I have approximately 25 kits for students to purchase at a cost of $2.
  • The kits include two skeins of wool, a knitting booklet, a pair of knitting needles and a sewing needle to stitch knitted garments together.  The purpose of the group is twofold: one to teach interested students how to knit and secondly for each student to donate one of the skeins of wool to the Salvation Army.  With the skein of wool they will knit squares and sew them together to make a blanket to donate to the Salvation Army.  The blanket will be knitted from 8ply wool and if you have any spare 8ply wool that you would like to donate to the project, we would be happy to receive it.
  • I am happy for any parent/grandparent/caregiver who might be interested in working with me on this project on the Monday or Thursday to help students if they need it.  At this stage I am opening the program for students from Year 5 upward and the first to see me and purchase a kit will be popped into the program until it is booked out.
  • If you are interested in knitting squares at home yourself and donating them to this project the following is the pattern.
  • Using 4mm needles and 8 ply wool cast on 21 stitches.
  • Work 36 rows in garter stitch (every row knit)
  • Cast off.  Work another square in the same way.

Parent Volunteers

• We are always looking for extra help in the Resource Centre to shelve, cover and repair books.  I am also happy to have someone to help sew our squares as they are knitted.
  • If you have some time spare and would like to help out please contact me on 8270 4144 so that we can arrange to meet and chat about it.

Regards,

Sue Jones