Welcome back to Term 4, we trust that all families and friends enjoyed some quality time together over the last two weeks, including the October long weekend. The last term of the year promises to be a busy one – with more school camps, excursions / incursions, Sports Expo, Colour Fun Run, Gala Day, Reception Transition for 2019, Craigburn’s Got Talent, Celebration Night, Year 7 Graduation and more. We will endeavour to keep you posted of news and events via our news blog and Facebook Page. Please check in with our school calendar as needed.
A reminder that we have our final student free day on Friday 16th November endorsed by our Governing Council last term. On the 16/11 school staff will be working on analysing a range of student learning data including this year’s NAPLAN and Progressive Achievement Tests.
Sports Expo / Colour Fun Run
- Sports Expo is coming in Week 2, this year at no cost to families. Sports Expo an annual school event coinciding with Physical Education Week to promote the importance of Health & PE in the Australian Curriculum, and to highlight the importance of Health & PE to the learning and development of children and young people. Thank you to our PE specialist Karen Pettman who is coordinating the activities. The week will conclude with our first Colour Fun Run, being a major school fundraiser for the year, which promises to be a fun and exciting event.
- We welcome back Mike Hanna (Year 3/4) and Heather McLean (Front Office) from leave.
- John Spurr returns to regular teaching duties on Wednesdays in Andrea Grant’s class.
- Mark Lemmey (Year 6/7) and Jodie Fischer (Year 5/6) are on leave for this first week back. Thank you to Bryan Roberts and Alison Hamilton who will be teaching these classes.
Facilities / Grounds Update
Over the holiday period we have had a number of grounds and facilities tasks undertaken, including:
- A number of garden beds now have concrete edging which will help maintain plants and mulch. Plantings to occur soon.
- The main internal hallway has been resurfaced, with hallway walls to be repainted in coming weeks.
- NBN Fibre Link – has been installed recently, being a major upgrade to our schools ICT infrastructure and network. You may have taken notice of this work driving past school over the weekend.
- Preparation for a Learning Environment Opportunity Study. Within the next week or so we will be sharing information regarding this study we are undertaking in partnership with the department’s facilities team and an approved architecture firm, being a strategic review to assess our existing school facilities and identify opportunities to improve spaces for teaching and learning. This will involve collaborative input from staff, students, parents and the architect firm, for the longer term planning of Craigburn’s learning environment and facilities.
Key Dates to Remember
- 22/10 – 25/10 Sports Expo
- 26/10 Colour Fun Run
- 29/10 – 31/10 Year 5 Camp to Wirraway
- 29/10 Governing Council
- 30/10 Year 1 Noarlunga Reef Excursion
- 1/11 Music Count Us In Performance
- 2/11 Year 2 Art Gallery Excursion
- 5/11 Family STEM Evening
- 7/11 Sarah Bradley Music Concert
- 7/11 Team Assemblies – R/1 and Years 2/3/4
- 8/11 School Group Tour
- 9/11 Music is Fun
- 9/11 Remembrance Day Assembly – TBA
- 14/11 2019 Reception Transition Visit 1
- 16/11 Student Free Day
- 21/11 2019 Reception Transition Visit 2
- 23/11 Gala Day
- 28/11 – 30/11 Year 6 Camp to El Shaddai, Wellington
- 3/12 Governing Council
- 4/12 Craigburn’s Got Talent
- 7/12 Celebration Night Rehearsal
- 10/12 Celebration Night
- 12/12 Year 7 Graduation
- 14/12 End of Year Dismissal 12.30pm
This time last year
- Our school community was the centre of much media attention around this time last year, supporting the One Girl organisation through their annual ‘Do it in a Dress’ campaign. Worth checking in on the One Girl journey to see the ongoing positive impact our students and supporters have made.
To Note / Friendly Reminders
- Auditions for Craigburn’s Got Talent are approaching – details here.
- Volunteers urgently needed in the Canteen – please contact Sue L via the canteen if you can help out.
- School opens at 8.30am –Students are able to come onto school grounds from 8.30am when staff are on duty. We ask all parents and caregivers for their support.
- To support our planning for 2019, for students / families who will be not be with us at Craigburn in 2019, we would appreciate parents / caregivers contact the school to inform us via phone 8270 4144 or email email@example.com This does not include any current Year 7 students. Thank you.
- Please check the lost property stall in the hallway adjacent to the school canteen for any items that may have been misplaced over the term.
Best wishes to all for Term 4 and the week ahead.
Regards, Paul Luke