- Once again Gala Day proved to be an enjoyable and engaging day for our students as they showcased their enterprise and entrepreneur skills. Thank you to the student leaders and Mrs Robertson for coordinating the day. A write-up and a few photos can be viewed here.
- Thank you to our amazing parent group for organising and running last Friday evening’s discos, which were greatly enjoyed by students.
- We practised our emergency lockdown procedure, with the alert triggered by 3x long, 3x short, 3x long blasts of the school siren. Well done to all students / classes for practising this important procedure sensibly.
- We have our third and final transition session this Wednesday for all Reception starters in 2019. Special welcome to all new families to Craigburn, we trust your child enjoyed their first taste of school life. Please check this great guide to starting school by Kids Matter. Thank you to Craigburn parent, Lisa Barkham, for coordinating the parent information session last Wednesday and for making our newcomers feel very welcomed.
- We are all looking forward to Craigburn’s Got Talent on Tuesday 4th December, which again promises to be an enjoyable event. We have many talented students at Craigburn, who have been rehearsing and refining their acts, ready for the big day next Tuesday.
- We look forward to sharing in a community morning tea to acknowledge our parent volunteers on Thursday morning, 6th December from 10.40am in the school hall. This is an opportunity for us to say thank you to all parents, caregivers and friends who have volunteered throughout the year. Our school and children really benefit from the wonderful support we receive. For catering purposes please check this recent post to inform the school if you are joining us for this event.
- Celebration Night – We also look forward to a special gathering of our school community on Monday 10th December where we join together to celebrate the year that was, through song and dance performances by our classes. We are pleased to announce former Craigburn student Georgia Carey will be our guest performer. Some of you may remember Georgia appeared a few years ago on The Voice.
- Year 7 Graduation – At this time of the year, we say farewell to our Year 7 students (and some families too) who will participate in a Graduation dinner and ceremony on Wednesday evening 12th December. This is a special time for students, staff and families where we acknowledge and celebrate the participation of all Year 7 students who have been a central part of our school community over many years.
- End of Year Assembly – We will have our traditional ‘End of Year Assembly’ at 10.00am on Friday 14th December. This is a time where we show gratitude for our collective work and efforts throughout the year, as well as farewelling our Year 7 students and other students / staff who are leaving. All parents and friends are welcome to attend.
Key Dates to Remember
- 27/11 Blackwood High School Information Night and Transition Day for 2019 Year 8 students
- 28/11 – 30/11 Year 6 Camp to El Shaddai, Wellington
- 3/12 Governing Council
- 4/12 Craigburn’s Got Talent 11.30am in the school hall. Parents welcome.
- 6/12 Volunteer’s Morning Tea 10.40am
- 7/12 Celebration Night Rehearsal – Morning
- 10/12 Celebration Night
- 12/12 Class Placements / End of Year Reports
- 12/12 Year 7 Graduation
- 14/12 End of Year Assembly 10.00am – Early Dismissal 12.30pm
Staffing / Class Numbers Update
- With three weeks remaining to end the school year, we are aiming to finalise our staffing allocation for 2019, which is dependent on the department’s central staffing processes. We will be providing an update as soon as we are in the position to do so.
- Class Numbers for 2019 – Next year we begin with 20 classes, remaining the same as this year.
Class Placement Update
- As mentioned last week, teachers are continuing to work through the process of placing students into class groups for the 2019 school year.
- As previously communicated, placing students in classes is a complex and time-consuming process involving multiple factors. Students will be informed of their placement on Wednesday 12th December, where they get to visit their new class for 2019 after recess.
- Parents / caregivers are informed via a class placement letter with their child’s end of year report on the same day.
- Teachers are continuing to write student reports, which involves them working together with year-level team colleagues to moderate and discuss student assessments, ensuring consistency of teacher judgement to report A-E grades for the subject areas within the Australian Curriculum.
- Many teachers undertake report writing days, where relief teachers are in classes. This is part of teachers’ industrial entitlements as they ‘bank’ time over the course of the year to undertake this important work.
- Please don’t forget that we close at 12.30pm on the last day of term – Friday 14th December. The Governing Council has endorsed this early dismissal as per previous years. The OSHC service will available from this time.
- Bushfire Ready Procedures.
- SunSmart – Parents are encouraged to provide SPF 30+ broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen to and for their child’s use as needed. Teachers will encourage students to apply sunscreen before going outdoors.
Best wishes to all for the week ahead.
Regards, Paul Luke, Principal