Dear Parents and Caregivers, we have two weeks left to go, with a range of activities, events and celebrations to complete the school year. We thank you for your ongoing support in reading though our weekly news.
Best wishes for the week ahead.
Kind regards – Paul, Rob and Nicky
- We hosted our final reception transition visit last Wednesday for all children starting their first year of schooling in 2020. We look forward to seeing our new starters again on Tuesday 28th January.
- Students received certificates / medals for their participation in the 2019 Premier’s Reading Challenge. Thank you to Jane (Library SSO) for coordinating this year’s challenge.
- Our Year 6 students enjoyed their camp to El Shaddai at Wellington. Thank you to the Year 6 teachers and volunteer parents for organising and supporting the camp.
- Year 1s enjoyed a great day on Thursday at the Noarlunga Reef.
Upcoming – Final Two Weeks of the School Year
- We are all looking forward to Craigburn’s Got Talent on Thursday, which promises to be an enjoyable event. Best wishes to the talented students who will be performing on the big day. Further details here.
- We also look forward to our annual Thank You Volunteers community morning tea this Friday morning, 6th December from 10.40am in the school hall. We appreciate and value the ongoing support of volunteers at Craigburn. Please register your attendance here, via phone 82704144 or feel free to drop in on the day.
- Reminder our annual Celebration Night is set for Monday 9th December, where our community joins together to enjoy song and dance performances as well as end of year presentations and farewells. Our annual Christmas Raffle will be drawn on the night – donations are gratefully received. Details here.
- At this time of the year, we prepare to say farewell to our Year 7 students (and some families too) who will participate in a graduation dinner and ceremony on Wednesday evening 11th December. This is a special time for students, staff and families where we acknowledge and celebrate the participation of all Year 7 students who have been a central part of our school community over many years.
- We will be hosting our traditional ‘End of Year Assembly’ at 10.00am on Friday 13th December. This is a time where we share gratitude for our collective work and efforts throughout the year, as well as farewelling our Year 7 students and other students / staff who are leaving. All parents and friends are welcome to attend.
- Don’t forget that we close at 12.30pm on the last day of term – Friday 13th December. The Governing Council has endorsed this early dismissal as per previous years. The OSHC service will available from this time.
- With two weeks remaining to end the school year, we are aiming to finalise our staffing allocation for 2020, in liaison with the department’s central staffing team. As mentioned previously, there will be changes to our teaching staff list for 2020, with: new teacher appointments, teachers leaving / appointed to other sites, teachers returning from or taking leave, and teachers increasing / decreasing their fraction of time. There will also be a number of teachers working in a part-time capacity where classes will be shared.
Class Structures / Student Placement Update
- We have developed our preferred class structure for 2020 after much consideration and based on our projected enrolments and the requirements of the department’s student centred funding model. The new structure supports our ‘professional learning community’ ethos of teachers working in collaborative teams and also to reduce class sizes in the early years of schooling. With varying numbers of students across each year level we will have a mixture of straight year level and composite classes.
- With this class structure in place, we are in the latter stages of placing students in classes for 2020 having received input from teachers, students and parents.
- As previously communicated, placing students in classes is a complex and time-consuming process.
- It is important to note that we will not be in a position to move students. Moving a student from one class to another inevitably changes the environment of multiple class groupings and for this reason, we will not be in a position to move students.
- We respectfully ask that parents / caregivers do not approach current teachers regarding class placements.
Reminder: Material and Services Charge – Polling Letter
- At our recent governing council meeting, members approved the Material and Services Charge to be set at $440 for the 2020 school year.
- The governing council asked (via letter) that you support their recommendation (via a Poll) to increase the legally recoverable amount to the prescribed sum of $440, as part of the Department’s Debt Collection Policy.
- Parents should have received a polling letter outlining this process and with a voting slip, due to be returned by Thursday 5th December.
Governing Council and Sub-Committees
- We would like to thank all members of this year’s Governing Council and from the various sub-committees for their advocacy and support of our school’s operations and programs over the course of the 2019 school year.
- Strong parent support contributes to our school in so many positive ways.
Parent Opinion Survey
- Each year as part of our annual reporting processes to the school community, feedback is gathered from parents, students and staff about teaching, and the organisation / running of the school. It’s once again that time of the year where we invite you to provide us with feedback about our school via the National Parent Opinion Survey, which will be available for all parents via a letter sent home this week. The letter will include a link to the survey and a personal access code.
- Thank you (in anticipation) for taking the time to complete the survey – your feedback is valued.
- The findings of the surveys will be reported to the school community via the 2019 Annual Report.
Worth Checking Out
- From the eSafety Commissioner – Be smart and secure when choosing tech gifts for children and young people.
Key Dates to Remember
- 02/12 Basketball / Cricket Presentations, Governing Council
- 05/12 Craigburn’s Got Talent
- 06/12 Celebration Night Rehearsal in morning, Thank You Volunteers Morning Tea
- 09/12 Celebration Night
- 10/12 R,1,2 Fun Day (details to come)
- 11/12 End of Year Reports, Year 7 Graduation
- 13/12 End of Year – Dismissal 12.30pm
Recent Posts You May Have Missed
- Christmas Raffle
- Craigburn’s Got Talent Final
- OSHC Vacation Care Dec 2019/Jan 2020 Program
- Bushfire Procedures
- New OSHC Enrolments for 2020
- Save The Date – Quiz Night 2020
- Thank You Volunteers Morning Tea – Friday 6 December
- Reminder to all families to check in with our Bushfire Procedures.
- To support our planning and developing our class structure for 2020 – for students / families who will not be with us at Craigburn in 2020, we would appreciate parents / caregivers contact the school to inform us via phone 8270 4144 or email email@example.com This does not include any current Year 7 students. Thank you to those who have already informed us.
- Please check the lost property stall in the hallway adjacent to the school canteen for any items that may have been misplaced over last term.