Have you filled a bucket today?

Today we read a book called “Have You Filled a Bucket Today?” by Carol McLeod.

It’s a book about that is a guide to daily happiness for your child.

We read the book as a whole class and just loved it. The concept of the story is

Everyone carries an invisible bucket that holds our good thoughts and feelings. When our  buckets are full, we feel happy and when our buckets are empty, we feel sad.

The message from the story taught us that everyone has an invisible bucket and that all of us can fill other people’s buckets – being a bucket filler. By adding to someone else’s bucket you also fill your own bucket too. BUT if you are negative or don’t behave the right way you are a bucket dipper and sadly your bucket will be empty. Bullies are bucket dippers. The best thing about bring a bucket filler is that it doesn’t have to cost a cent. It could be a smile, a high five, a little thank you note….. and so many other ideas. Aren’t these great positive messages to send to each other.

We ADORED this book. We’d love for everyone to read it. We were so excited about the story and it’s message that we just HAD to make our own buckets straight away. We’ve even loaned the book to some other classes so they could fill their buckets too.

Here are our buckets.
Have You Filled a Bucket Today? on PhotoPeach

Have you read the book Have You Filled a Bucket Today? We’d love to hear what you thought of the story. Please let us know.

Can you make any suggestions on how we could fill other people’s buckets?

Please leave us a comment on the blog – it will help to fill our buckets!!!

18 thoughts on “Have you filled a bucket today?

1. What a fantastic story. I like the way that filling someone else’s bucket helps fill your own bucket. I fill slightly more full after writing this note…sigh 🙂

2. Sienna told me all about the “Have you filled a bucket today” story, what a fantastic idea. I think that smiling at people is another way of filling their bucket with happy thoughts – it’s much nicer when someone smiles at you than when they frown at you, don’t you think? I’m looking forward to reading the story.

3. christmas is coming your grandad is getting fat,
    if you keep smiling i’ll buy you a santa hat.
    see you at christmas.

4. Maisie loved making the bucket and reading peoples comments. We hope that your bucket of blogs is over flowing!

5. I really liked making the buckets and I liked the story that you read to us. My favourite bit of the story was when it told us how to fill a bucket.

6. What a fantastic story. Sadly Cooper missed out as he way away sick but maybe he could make a bucket another time.

I agree with Sonja in that a smile never hurt anyone and can really help make someone’s day look brighter.

7. Bucket dipper, bucket sipper,
    light arm load you heft.
    Fast walker, loud talker,
    dry mouth; comfort bereft.

Bucket filler, friend willer,
    heart strong from your load.
    Gentle talker, warm hand walker,
    belly full; from the seeds you sowed.

Each word, each step- A choice.
    What to do?
    Dipper?
    Sipper?
    Filler?
    Willer?
    Be still, listen hard,
    to the reflection of You.

8. Charlie (Maisies Friend)
    What a lovely concept! Love it… I shall remember to fill a bucket or two everyday…

9. Charlie (Maisies friend)
    Also great to see such a positive blog site… Good on you Miss Sporn’s class.

10. I loved the book’s message about choosing to be a bucket filler or dipper. I’d love Laurie to show me the book if it is available to him.

11. Sounds like a beautiful book with a beautiful message. I haven’t read it yet but would love to! If you still have it in your class, could you bring it along to show me when you come to the German room next time? Keep up the good work everyone. Aufwiedersehen. Bis spater!

12. I love bucket filling and the book. It actually fills up my invisible bucket very fast!
    Could we have a very long bucket filling session tomorrow?
    Paul
    P.S: For Miss Sporn ONLY: NOT FOR KIDS: Do you have an older version of the voice mail plug-in because it needs the latest version of Flash Player and we have V. 10! Dad won’t let me have the latest version… 🙁
    Which is bad, so I cannot comment via voice mail. I really wanted to use voice mail.
    P.P.S: For Miss Sporn ONLY again: OSHC staff have been waiting for another set of my cards… so should you give another set that includes the kid’s set and the teacher’s set to OSHC? NOT A JOKE!
    P.P.P.S: For all of you: I WANT TO CONTINUE STORY WRITING TOMORROW!!!! Yay! 😉