End of Term News

Dear Parents and Caregivers,

I would like to wish all of our families a very happy and safe holiday break. We have had an amazingly successful and  very rewarding term. The students have shown great commitment to their learning and the staff have worked so very hard to ensure the progress of all children. We have had an outstanding Annual General Meeting and our new Governing Council members have been elected. I am thrilled with the incredible parent support that we have at Craigburn and one example is the work that our sub-committees are doing to support in so many ways, eg. Fundraising, Environment, Sports, OSHC, to name a few.

Leadership

Next Term – Paul Luke will be acting Principal whilst I am on long service leave. Rob Warncken will be the Deputy Principal and two staff will be sharing the Senior Leader role. Congratulations go to Andrea Grant and Hazel Robertson who will be our Senior Leaders.

Fundraising Success

We are thrilled to announce that some of our fundraising money is now being spent on the long awaited playground equipment, starting with the new “5-Way Swing”. This will likely be in place by the beginning of Term 2. Lots of fun is in store as we progress with our play areas. We have raised over $45,000 in 2 years and the “Wackyathon” is going to assist us to finally get to our goal or $50,000. Students have taken the “Wackyathon” sponsorship forms home and we hope they can gather sponsors in the holidays for the fabulous prizes that we have on offer. The voucher prizes were suggested by SRC and SLEG.

Best wishes to one of our students: Ben Hinks

Ben has been selected to represent Australia in the International Optimist Dinghy sailing class at the European Championships in Crotone, Italy, in July 2016. This is an amazing achievement. His success at the Australian Championships in January 2016, against the best sailors in the 8-15 year age bracket, earned him selection. Ben will be with 3 other sailors and will be supported by an Australian coach and a Team Manager. Ben is the current SA Optimist Champion. We wish Ben every success with this outstanding international opportunity in July.

Have a great term!

I wish our students a very successful Term 2 and I am confident that we will have great learning achievements ahead with our “leading edge” BYO iPad program. I believe our literacy and numeracy agenda will hold us in very good stead for a successful experience with the NAPLAN assessments early next term. During our student-free days, staff will be undergoing training in “Comprehension and Inferencing” on May 27th, and, “The Art and Science of Teaching” on June 10th. It will be a great term I am sure!

I will very much look forward to my return in Term 3.

Kind regards, Kathy Terrell