We want all of our students to come to school each and every day. We know there is a strong correlation between positive attendance and achievement. If students do miss school regularly, they can miss out on learning the basic skills that will set them up for success in the later years of school.
We do know that there are times when a student is not able to attend school, including for sickness, family reasons, and for other reasons, including exemptions from school for family holidays.
We remind parents / caregivers of their responsibilities:
- Parents to cooperate with the school procedure of student arrival and departure (details below).
- Parents to notify the school of student absences, with a specific reason such as illness, injury, special family event, etc. This may be communicated via a phone call to the school, an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via a written note to the class teachers.
- If a family holiday has been arranged during a school term, an exemption form must be filled out and signed by the Principal. These are available upon request from the front office.
At Craigburn we have procedures in place to manage, monitor and support attendance – as per below.
Arriving at School
- Children have a better opportunity to perform well if they arrive at school on time and are able to prepare for the school day. For this reason we ask all parents / caregivers to ensure that their children arrive at school and are in class ready to start by 8.50am. Children are not expected to arrive at school before 8.30am as supervision of children is not provided until this time
- Teachers will generally be in their classrooms from 8.40am each day and are available for a quick chat if necessary. Making appointments with teachers is the preferred process for further teacher / parent dialogue..
- If children are arriving late at school, they are required to report to the front office and record their arrival. Office staff will guide younger students through this process.
Collecting Children Early
- If you wish your child to be released early from school, it is essential that you inform the teacher or front office staff as early as possible before or prior to the time early collection is to occur.
- Parents / caregivers need to sign children out at the front office. Students will not be permitted to walk unaccompanied out of our care to make their own way home independently during school time.
- If a person other than a parent / caregiver is collecting a child from school early, they will require a note from the parent / caregiver and may need to be identfied on the child’s file as an emergency contact.
Departure From School
- Parents / caregivers are asked to wait outside classrooms until school finishes. This procedure minimises class distraction for the children and anxiety for individuals who cannot see their parent / caregiver waiting nearby.
- Students are dismissed at 3.10pm. Once dismissed, students are to proceed home as directed by their parents / caregivers. For safety reasons, children are not permitted to remain on school grounds unless supervised by a parent / caregiver.
- Parents / caregivers who collect students each afternoon are asked to ensure that their children are not left waiting for long periods of time after school. Children who have not been collected by parents / caregivers by 3.30pm will be sent to the Front Office.
- It is essential for the safety of our students that parents park in designated areas close to the school and adhere to parking and traffic rules and regulations.
If for any reason your child must miss school, there are things you can do with your school to ensure they don’t fall behind. Speak with your classroom teacher and find out what work your child needs to do to keep up.