As you would be aware Craigburn Primary School launched a voluntary BYO iPad program for students in Years 2 – 7 in early 2016. Throughout the early stages of the program we have experienced many successes and some challenges along the way. These have included:
- approximately 180 students who have taken up the program and whose families participated in parent information / induction sessions,
- 21 parent induction sessions delivered over 3 terms,
- strong support for the program by students, teachers, families involved, and the Craigburn Governing Council,
- positive feedback through our external school review, held in Term 3 2016,
- increased opportunities for students to demonstrate their learning (making their learning visible) – e.g. using apps such as Seesaw, Explain Everything
- increased learner engagement by students using iPads as evidenced by a student data survey in Term 4,
- a shift in the way teachers have designed learning tasks to support personalised learning and higher order thinking,
- issues with purchasing and providing paid apps,
- being unable to establish the program for Year 1 students,
- and providing updated information to families e.g. paid app survey returns.
We have recently updated our BYO iPad Program Information for 2017 – (click link) and are continuing to the implement the program across Years 2 – 7, with the aim to extend this to Year 1 in the future.
Parent Induction Sessions
- Induction sessions are designed for families of students in Years 2 – 7, who:
- would like their child to participate in the program
- whose child / children already participates – and would like a refresher course
- would like their child to participate but have not yet purchased an iPad
- Induction sessions are offered on the following dates/times:
- Monday 20th February – 6.30pm – 8.00pm – evening session – staffroom
- Wednesday 22nd February – 9.00am – 10.30am – morning session – hall
- Monday 27th February – 6.30pm – 8.00pm – evening session – staffroom
- Friday 3rd March – 9.00am – 10.30am – morning session – hall
- Please note:
- At least one parent / carer is required to attend. It is not essential that two parents attend.
- Only one induction session needs to be attended by parents if more than one child is participating in the program.
- Students are not required to attend the induction session.
- Further induction sessions will be available on a needs basis. Please contact the school if these dates are unsuitable to arrange an alternative time
- At the Induction session, parents will be introduced to and stepped through a ‘BYO iPad Program iTunes U Course’ – designed to provide both the parent/s and the child with immediate and easy access to the following information and resources:
- Setting up the iPad ready for school
- School, Parent and Student Expectations – including acceptable use agreement
- A required core Apps List
- Maintenance and Care
- Digital Citizenship and Cybersafety
- iPad Tips and Tricks
Register your attendance at one of these sessions via the online registration form – click link
or fill out form below