School Sports SA – Sapsasa, organises and conducts various competitions for primary school students throughout the school year. There are 3 levels of Sapsasa teams/sports: Knockout (school based), District and State. Team sports are generally for Year 6/7 students and individual sports for students 10-13 years of age. Sapsasa information will be published on the school blog and daily student notices.
Schools can choose to nominate teams in school based competitions. At Craigburn preference is given to Year 7 students playing the particular knockout team sport. Parent support for coaching and transport is required for teams to be nominated.
Cricket, Tennis and Softball – Term 1 & 4
Football, Netball, Soccer and Hockey – Term 2 & 3
Craigburn’s district is Southern Heights. Year 6 & 7 students are able to trial for teams with trials held out of school hours. Selection is based on ability with priority going to Year 7’s ahead of Year 6’s, however Year 6 students can be selected before Year 7 students if, in the opinion of the selectors, they have more ability. Parents are responsible for transporting their students to and from district carnivals if selected. Students are notified of these trials throughout the year as information becomes available.
Cricket & Tennis – Term 1: 16 – 19 March
Football & Netball – Term 2: 15 – 18 June
Soccer & Hockey – Term 3: 30 Aug – 3 September
Softball – Term 4: 2 – 5 November
State Championship Days and Carnivals
Our district Southern Heights, holds district swimming, cross country and athletics days that we participate in, from which district teams are then selected. For swimming, diving, athletics and cross-country students must be in their 10th year or older.
- Triathlon – Yr 6/7 boys & girls – 19 February – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Swimming – Born 2010 or older – 28 February (evening) – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Diving – Born 2010 or older – 27 March – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Cross Country – Born 10 or older – 8 May – transport by bus as a school group
- Basketball – Yr 6/7 boys & girls – 29 or 30 July – parents responsible for transport
- Athletics – Born 2010 or older – 20 August – transport by bus as a school group
- Golf – Yr 6/7 boys & girls – 3 & 4 September – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Eikden Relay – Yr 6/7 boys & girls – 15 October – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Mountain Bike -Yr 6/7 boys & girls – 16 October – parents responsible for transport and supervision
School Sport Australia Championships
Held in various states throughout the year. State teams are chosen on a merit selection process for a variety of sports. Details of trials and registration forms are online at www.decd.sa.gov.au/teaching/sport/sports-and-competitions/interstate-nomination-process
If you require any further information re Sapsasa sports please speak to our Specialist PE Teacher Karen Pettman or email on email@example.com