Dear Parents and Caregivers
We have developed our preferred class structure for 2021 (see below) after much consideration and based on our projected enrolments and the requirements of the department’s student-centred funding model. This structure (below) supports our ‘professional learning community’ ethos of teachers working in collaborative teams and also to reduce class sizes in the early years of schooling.
With varying numbers of students across each year level we have a mixture of straight year level and composite classes moving into 2021. Common in most schools throughout Australia – composite classes provide flexible options for placing students. Regardless of single or multiple year levels, every class can be considered to be ‘composite’ – where a wide range of student abilities exist. In order to cater for the differing needs of students, teachers work in professional learning teams to plan learning programs.
Teachers are the same as other people in the workforce in that they are entitled to work in a part-time capacity. This is common practice in schools. In 2021, there will be some classes taught by two teachers. This is referred to as tandem teaching. Teachers in these situations meet regularly to plan learning programs as well as establishing and maintaining shared classroom routines and practices.
In placing students into classes for 2021 we have considered; professional teacher judgements, the social and emotional needs of students, behaviour, gender, friendship groups, and special needs. Parent input was also considered as per the optional invitation. Requests from parents to have or not to have specific teachers or students in their child’s class were not considered.
Today, students visited their new classes for 2021, meeting with their new teacher/s and classmates for some fun activities and positive conversation.
Teachers have provided a welcome letter for students / families to take home.
- We ask parents and caregivers to have a positive and supportive conversation with your child regarding their new class, having trust in her / him in being able to adjust to the new learning environment and to make new friends.
- Students generally adapt to their new class quickly. As the new school year commences we encourage students, teachers and parents to establish positive relationships.
- Placements in classes are final. We will not be in a position to move students. Moving a student from one class to another inevitably changes the environment of multiple class groupings and for this reason, we will not be moving students.
- Our teaching and leadership staff have worked carefully and sensitively over many weeks to place students into classes for 2021. We respectfully ask that parents/caregivers support this outcome.
We welcome the following teachers to Craigburn for 2021.
- Sarah Jackson, joins us in an ongoing position having taught in Port Lincoln over recent years.
- Janine Mackay, joins us in an ongoing position having taught in Kadina.
- Tara Bell, rejoins us having previously taught at Craigburn.
We trust that students, staff and families will provide a warm welcome to Sarah, Janine and Tara.
We retain the services of the following teachers who will be continuing in contract positions for 2021:
- Sonia Caruso, Tahlia Woolford, Pip Tonkin, Brooke Hamden, Amy Bennett, Jodie Fischer, Tristan Fergusson, Jimmy Marin and John Spurr.
We farewell the following teachers who have been with us for one or more years and move on to other positions / roles. We thank them for their excellent service at Craigburn and wish them all the best for their future endeavours.
- Tamsar Bellette, Amy Lawson, Nardene Manna, Adele Taylor, Natalie Shearer (best wishes to Nat for a safe arrival of her first child)
Teaching Staff List for 2021 – including class structures and locations.
Rec: Sonia Caruso – D20
Rec: Tahlia Woolford – D21
Rec: Genna Dow – D22
Yr 1: Brooke Hamden 0.8 M,T,Th,F – Karen Prideaux 0.2 W – E23
Yr 1: Adriana 0.8 M,T,W,Th – Tara Bell 0.2 F – E24
Yr 1: Pip Tonkin – E25
Yr 2: Anita Wright 0.8 M,T,W,Th – Karen Prideaux 0.2 F – A3
Yr 2: Lisa Sporn – A4
Yr 3: Term 1 – Chantelle McMahon 1.0 – C14
Yr 3: Terms 2/3/4 – Chantelle McMahon 0.6 M,T,W – Janine Mackay 0.4 Th,F – C14
Yr 3: Veronica Khalaf – C15
Yr 4: Sarah Jackson – C16
Yr 4: Renae Humphrys – C17
Yr 4/5: Rebecca Hepworth – D18
Yr 5: Pearl Somerset – F26
Yr 5: Amy Bennett – F27
Yr 6/7: Andrea Grant – B8
Yr 6/7: Tristan Fergusson – B9
Yr 6/7: Jodie Fischer – B11
Yr 6/7: Mark Lemmey – B12
Yr 6/7: Steven Webster – B13
Specialist Teachers / Leadership
- Performing Arts – Jimmy Marin – Music Room
- German – Carly Smith – A1
- PE – Karen Pettman Gym / Outdoors
- Science / STEM – John Spurr – A7
- EALD – Karen Prideaux
- Nicky Taylor – Senior Leader
- Rob Warncken – Deputy Principal
- Paul Luke – Principal
Best wishes to all for a safe and happy Christmas and New Year.
Paul Luke Rob Warncken Nicky Taylor
Principal Deputy Principal Senior Leader