Dear families and friends, welcome back to the new school year. I hope you enjoyed some quality family time over the holiday break and that you are looking forward to the year ahead. I’m sure your child/ren is/are looking forward to connecting with school friends, old and new – and of course their teachers too!
Teachers and support staff returned to work early last week and have been busy planning and preparing for the first day back on Wednesday 27 January. They are looking forward to making contact with you in the first week and are excited to meet their new classes.
We all hope that the COVID situation reaches a positive resolution this year, however in the meantime, we remain vigilant and prepared to respond proactively to any situation that may arise. We again thank you for your ongoing support.
Please take a few moments to check in with a number of important updates below with further information to be sent out through school and class news channels once school resumes.
- School returns and reopens for students on Wednesday 27th January – school opens at 8.30am, classes / lessons start from 8.50am.
- Arriving at School – The school is open for students and families from 8.30am. For safety reasons, we ask that students do not come onto school grounds unsupervised before this time. Teachers will begin opening classrooms with classes commencing at 8.50am. Students are expected to wait outside upon arrival.
- The first few minutes of the school day are very important as this is when daily notices and reminders about events are given, notes are collected, communication books are checked, the student diary is shared and a range of other important organisational matters are dealt with. Students who arrive even a few minutes late, often miss this valuable information and disadvantage themselves. If your child is going to be absent please contact the school by phone (leave a message) or by email.
- New uniform items that have been purchased can be collected from the front office. Please remain outside the front office and wait for a front office staff member to direct you inside. Thanks.
- Second-hand uniform sales are available – please enquire through the front office.
- Hats are available for sale with school bags on back order – please enquire through the front office.
First Day Take Home Packs
- On Wednesday, your child will be taking home an envelope, containing the following information:
- Student Personal Data form – please check details thoroughly and sign before returning to school in the envelope – either in person at the front office or via your child’s class teacher. Updated contact information will be important to provide given the ongoing COVID situation.
- Materials and Services Charge with payment information and options.
- Please ensure you promptly return the student information updates. During the year any changes to contact numbers need to be communicated to the school as soon as they occur.
Safety, Traffic and Parking
- Parents are reminded to follow local council traffic and parking rules and to be in consideration of local residents, when using the ‘drop-off and pick-up’ zone and when parking adjacent to the school for any length of time. The staff car park is not to be used for the drop off and pick up of children as doing so is dangerous and causes congestion – unless using the disability access park.
- Parents are not permitted to park within the staff car park, unless prior to 7.30am and after 5.00pm – for OSHC reasons or attending after-hours meetings. Parents are able to access the disability park in the staff car when displaying the relevant permit. Please contact the front office for emergency access.
Lost and Found Library Books
- If you happened to come across any library books during the holidays we would appreciate you returning them to school so that they can be made available for others to borrow.
- Please return all books even if they are damaged so we can repair or replace them.
BYO – iPads
- Please stay tuned for an update to this program
Lesson / Bell Times
- 8.30am – Students are allowed on school grounds. Students may enter their classrooms, at the teachers’ discretion.
- 8.50am – Siren sounds and the school day begins. Students arriving late must sign in at the front office.
- 10.50am – Recess
- 11.20am – Lessons continue
- 12.50pm – Children eat their lunch in the classroom
- 1.00pm – Lunch play
- 1.30pm – Lessons continue
- 3.10pm – Children are dismissed.
- Information to be published soon.
The Weekly Wrap
- The Weekly Wrap, published the evening before the first school day of the week (mostly Sunday), aims to provide families with relevant information, key events and friendly reminders for the week ahead as well as a short summary from the previous school week.
- SunSmart – Parents are encouraged to provide their child / children with sunscreen – teachers remind students to apply as needed.
- As per Bushfire procedures – all students need to bring a labelled towel and water bottle kept in the class.
- Lost property – please ensure all personal belongings are labelled. If not, they will be taken to the lost property area adjacent to the hall.
We will continue to follow the advice from the Department and SA Health, and Directions set by SAPOL – with the key message being, ‘remain prepared’ to respond to the fast changing nature of the pandemic.
We kindly ask that parents and caregivers follow and adhere to the restrictions in place at school as outlined below, understanding that things can change at short notice.
Access to school grounds / buildings
- Parents, volunteers, departmental support and other service providers are able to enter the school grounds, however physical distancing requirements (1.5m) must be followed at all times.
- Unfortunately at present, parents are unable to enter school buildings unless invited to do so for a specific reason eg meeting / volunteering, in which case, contact details will need to be recorded on a site access form for contact tracing purposes. Please note – QR codes are coming.
- Teachers will greet students, parents and caregivers outside of classrooms in the morning and bring your child/ren outside of classroom/s for pick up at the end of each day (if needed).
- If needing to visit the front office area, please remain outside until a staff member attends to you.
- Canteen volunteers will be rostered on for Term 1 and able to start, ensuring that volunteer registration and physical distancing requirements are met and hygiene practices are followed.
- We will be reviewing the practice of classroom volunteers based on the advice from the Department and SA Health. At this stage we continue to restrict parent access to enter classrooms / school buildings.
- Due to COVID requirements we are unable to host the evening in the same format as in previous years where students and families are invited to attend.
- We will be considering alternative ways for students, staff and families to connect and will share this information with you soon.
Hygiene and Wellness
- We will continue with personal hygiene practices with students and staff. All children and staff are encouraged to:
- wash their hands regularly, particularly after using the toilet and before eating
- avoid spreading infections to others by staying home if they are unwell
- cover a cough or sneeze with a tissue or sneeze into the elbow.
- Students and staff are to remain home if unwell.
We welcome the following new staff to Craigburn and wish them a successful start to their appointments.
- Sarah Jackson – Year 4
- Janine McKay – Year 3 (from Term 2)
- Tara Bell – Year 1 (Fridays)
- Kristie Bunting – Science / STEM (Term 1)
Staff List 2021 and Room Locations
- Reception: Sonia Caruso – D20
- Reception: Tahlia Woolford – D21
- Reception: Genna Dow – D22
- Year 1: Brooke Hamden 0.8 M,T,Th,F – Karen Prideaux 0.2 W – E23
- Year 1: Adriana 0.8 M,T,W,Th – Tara Bell 0.2 F – E24
- Year 1: Pip Tonkin – E25
- Year 2: Anita Wright 0.8 M,T,W,Th – Karen Prideaux 0.2 F – A3
- Year 2: Lisa Sporn – A4
- Year 3: Term 1 – Chantelle McMahon 1.0 – C14
- Year 3: Terms 2/3/4 – Chantelle McMahon 0.6 M,T,W – Janine Mackay 0.4 Th,F – C14
- Year 3: Veronica Khalaf – C15
- Year 4: Sarah Jackson – C16
- Year 4: Renae Humphrys – C17
- Year 4/5: Rebecca Hepworth – D18
- Year 5: Pearl Somerset – F26
- Year 5: Amy Bennett – F27
- Year 6/7: Andrea Grant – B8
- Year 6/7: Tristan Fergusson – B9
- Year 6/7: Jodie Fischer – B11
- Year 6/7: Mark Lemmey – B12
- Year 6/7: Steven Webster – B13
Specialist Teachers / Leadership
- Performing Arts – Jimmy Marin – Music Room
- German – Carly Smith – A1
- PE – Karen Pettman Gym / Outdoors
- Science / STEM – John Spurr, Kristie Bunting (Term1) – A7
- Visual Arts – Nardene Manna
- EALD – Karen Prideaux
- Nicky Taylor – Senior Leader
- Rob Warncken – Deputy Principal
- Paul Luke – Principal
Gym Hall Floor
- We are thrilled to have this resurfacing project completed in time for the first day back and look forward to welcoming students in the hall for our first assembly on Wednesday morning.
- The pre-existing amphitheatre steps have now been demolished to make way for a $200K upgrade to this central area of our school grounds.
- A security fence will be in place for the duration of this redevelopment which we expect will continue throughout the term.
We look forward to seeing everyone soon. Best wishes for the week ahead.
Paul, Rob and Nicky.