Thank you for taking time to read through the last Weekly Wrap for Term 3 and to keep up to date with school happenings.
End of Term – Thanks
As we approach the end of another school term, we would like to take the opportunity to acknowledge and thank parents and carers for your support of school programs and operations, especially in light of the ongoing COVID situation which has challenged us in many ways.
In moving forward into Term 4, we will continue to follow the advice from SA Health and the Department in relation to school activities and events, such as Sports Day, Camps, Celebration Night and Year 6 and 7 Graduations.
Thank you to parents and carers who supported after-hours school sports over the last term in soccer, netball and basketball. Special thanks to the coordinators, coaches and team managers. We trust families enjoyed these sports programs.
Thank you also to the parents who volunteered and attended last week’s Year 4 camp to Mylor. These learning opportunities can only happen with parent support.
Well done to students who have participated in various extra-curricular activities over the term including, Book Week activities, sports, Choir, Tournament of Minds, Sapsasa, SRC, camps / excursions. This year’s Premier’s Challenges (Reading and Be Active) have ended, with results being entered into the department’s databases. We expect to receive awards, certificates and medals in mid-November. Thank you to Jane (Library SSO), Karen Pettman (PE) for their coordination of these Challenges.
A special ‘shout out’ to our teachers and support staff for their efforts over the last ten weeks. They adapted and responded proactively to the seven-day lock down early in the term and were grateful for a return to face-to-face teaching. We wish them all a well-deserved break, although no doubt, many hours will be spent preparing for Term 4.
Best wishes to students, staff and families for a safe school holiday period and October long weekend.
Kind regards – Paul, Rob and Nicky.
SRC-Led Casual Clothes Day – Last Day of Term
The SRC have organised a ‘casual clothes’ day for the last day of term, Friday 24th September and are asking students to bring along a gold coin to donate and raise money for Autism SA – a very worthy cause.
Early Dismissal – Reminder to Families – Friday 24th September
Early Dismissal – Friday 24th September at 2.10pm
- For students who have parent / carer consent (as per the form).
- OSHC open, normal payment fee.
- Normal dismissal at 3.10pm for students who do not have consent.
NAPLAN – Years 3, 5 and 7
Earlier this year in May, students in Years 3, 5 and 7 sat the NAPLAN online assessments. The results of these assessments have been recently distributed to schools.
A preliminary analysis of our students’ results, show very pleasing progress towards our school’s improvement plan goals – most notably in Year 3 Literacy, with the highest achievement over the last 10 years in Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation. This also includes 64% of students achieving in the high bands. Whilst these results are pleasing to share, our focus continues to be on implementing structured literacy and numeracy practices across the school.
Staff will be undertaking a more detailed analysis of these assessments along with the recently held ACER Progressive Achievement Tests in PAT-R (reading) and PAT-M (maths). This will take place on Friday 22nd November, our last Student Free Day for the year, where we will carefully analyse student learning data to plan for improvements in literacy and numeracy practices as part of our school improvement planning cycle.
A detailed analysis of these NAPLAN results will be published in our next Annual Report.
Please note – Parents / carers of Year 3, 5 and 7 students who participated in the NAPLAN this year will receive individual results in a sealed envelope on Thursday 23 September. Please make the time to talk with your child’s teacher should you have any concerns or would like assistance in analysing the information.
As previously mentioned the Department has provided priority maintenance funds for refurbishing learning spaces (flooring/painting). This year, Building 1 (Receptions) and Building 2 (Year 1s) have been earmarked for painting and new carpets.
The work for these projects will commence from the start of next term in Building 1. This means that the 3 x Reception classes will be relocating to other classrooms – A1, A6 and A7 (specialist teachers) in Weeks 1 to 3. Specialist lessons in German, Art, Science / STEM will be held in students’ own classrooms. From Weeks 4 to 6, the Year 1 classes will relocate to these rooms whilst Building 2 is refurbished.
Remediation work will take place over the school holiday period to correct stormwater issues adjacent to the steps (near bin enclosure) and leading underground through to the admin entrance.
Now that the amphitheatre has opened, new flagpoles will be installed (in the holidays) adjacent to the lower paved area. This means that we will be able to fly three flags – Australian, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags. These flagpoles were provided as part of a grant last year.
- Well done to our Sapsasa Soccer team who competed valiantly last Tuesday, losing to a strong Lockleys North team. A wonderful effort by our boys in making it through to the final four teams.
- Last Wednesday staff, students and visitors took part in an emergency management practice evacuation. This week we will be undertaking a Lockdown practice. These practices are to ensure the processes we have in place are effective in the event of an emergency situation arising. It may be a good idea to talk to your child about emergency practices and why we have them.
- School opens at 8.30am – students should not be on school grounds prior to this time unless supervised by a parent / carer. Similarly, after school, students should not be staying on grounds after school unless accompanied by an adult (and including sports practice).
- To support our planning for 2022, we would like students / families who will not be at Craigburn in 2022 to contact the school via phone 8270 4144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org This does not include any current Year 6 or 7 students. Thank you.
- Recent Posts you might have missed:
- Flagstaff Hill Junior Golf Clinics – Term 4
- Seacliff Surf Lifesaving Club – Come and Try
- Come and Try Tennis – Flagstaff Hill Tennis Club
- September & October Vacation Care Program 2021
- Flagstaff Hill Cricket Club
- Canteen News – Term 3
- Lost Property Update
- Your Choice Education School Holiday Workshops
- Hills Swim School – Holiday Program
- Sports Day 2021
- Please keep in mind the current COVID restrictions. We appreciate families and friends taking note of this information and acting accordingly.
- Another friendly reminder regarding parking:
- The staff car park is for staff only (including disability parking). If accessing OSHC in the morning, please park in the drop off zone (noting signage).
- Thank you to those who have been doing this – it’s greatly appreciated.
- Sports Day is scheduled for Friday 22nd October. Parent involvement will be determined by the advice from SA Health closer to the time.
- We would like to clear all lost property before the end of term – please check for any items that may have been misplaced.
- To support our planning for 2021, we would like students / families who will not be at Craigburn in 2022 to contact the school via phone 8270 4144 or email email@example.com This does not include any current Year 6 or 7 students. Thank you.
- 2022 Reception Transition – will occur over three consecutive Wednesdays 10th, 17th and 24th of November
Term 4 Planner
Current as Sunday 18 September 2021 – subject to amendments
- Monday 11/10 – First day of Term 4
- Tuesday 12/10 – Reception Incursion – Animals Anonymous
- Friday 15/10 – School Tour (Prospective Families)
- Friday 15/10 – School Sport SA Mountain Bike Competition
- Monday 18/10 – Year 1 Excursion – Art Gallery
- Friday 22/10 – Sports Day
- Monday 25/10 – Governing Council
- Friday 29/10 – World Teachers Day
- Monday 1/11 – Tuesday 2/11 Year 3 Sleepover at Nunyara (Belair)
- Tuesday 3/11 – Friday 5/11 Year 5 Camp El Shaddai (Wellington)
- Tuesday 9/11 – Friday 12/11 – Year 6 Camp Kangaroo Island
- Wednesday 10/11 – Reception Transition Visit 1
- Thursday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Tuesday 16/11 – Friday 19/11 – Year 7 Camp Kangaroo Island
- Wednesday 17/11 – Reception Transition Visit 2
- Wednesday 24/11 – Reception Transition Visit 3
- Thursday 25/11 – Gala Day
- Friday 26/11 – Student Free Day – staff working onsite
- Tuesday 30/11 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Tuesday 30/11 – Governing Council
- Monday 6/12 – Celebration Night
- Tuesday 7/12 – Year 7 Graduation Night – Capri Theatre Goodwood
- Wednesday 8/12 – Year 6 Graduation Night – Capri Theatre Goodwood
- Wednesday 8/12 – End of Year Student Reports
- Friday 10/12 – Last Day – Early Dismissal 2.10pm