We have developed our preferred class structure for 2022 after much deliberation – based on our projected enrolments and the requirements of the department’s student-centred funding model.
The structure supports teachers working in collaborative teams and reduces class sizes in the early years of schooling.
With varying numbers of students across each year level we will have a mixture of straight year level and composite classes in 2022. Common in most schools, composite classes are a practical necessity providing flexible options for placing students.
Teachers are the same as other people in the workforce in that they are entitled to work in a part-time capacity. In 2022, there will be some classes taught by two teachers, both of whom will be working in a part-time capacity. This is referred to as tandem teaching. Teachers in these situations meet regularly to plan learning programs as well as establishing shared classroom routines and practices. There may also be occasions throughout the school year, where some teachers may take leave and / or take on an additional project / leadership role within the school or partnership of schools for short or longer periods of time (eg one day per week). In these situations we do our best to employ teachers who know the students and school well.
With this class structure in place we have now placed students in classes for 2022. As part of this process, we have considered; the social and emotional needs of students, behaviour, gender, friendship groups, and special needs. Parent input was also considered as per the optional invitation.
As stated previously, requests from parents to have or not to have specific teachers or students in their child’s class were not considered.
Class Visits – Wednesday 8th December
- On Wednesday morning 8th December, students will have the opportunity to visit their new class for 2022, where they will spend 40 minutes with their new classmates and new teacher/s.
- Year 6 and 7 students & students leaving Craigburn, will be supervised in the hall.
- We welcome students who will be new to Craigburn in 2022.
- A letter with information about your child’s placement and end of year report will go home on this day.
- We ask parents and caregivers to have a positive and supportive conversation with your child regarding their new class. Please know that your child/ren will adjust to their new learning environment and make new friends.
- Students generally adapt to their new class quickly. As the new school year commences we encourage students, teachers and parents to establish positive relationships.
- Placements in classes are final. We are not in a position to move students. Moving a student from one class to another inevitably changes the environment of multiple class groupings and for this reason, we are not able to move students.
- Our teaching and leadership staff have worked carefully and sensitively over many weeks to place students into classes for 2022. We respectfully ask that parents/caregivers support this outcome.
Paul, Rob and Nicky.