School Sport SA – Sapsasa, organises and conducts various competitions for primary school students throughout the school year. There are 3 levels of Sapsasa teams/sports: Statewide Schools Competitions (school-based knockout), District and State Carnivals/Championship & Individual School Championships. Team sports are generally for Year 5 and 6 students and individual sports for students 10-12 years of age. Sapsasa information will be published on the school blog and daily student notices.
Statewide (Knockout) competitions
Schools can choose to nominate teams in school-based competitions if there is enough student interest and coaches available. At Craigburn, preference is first given to Year 6 students playing the particular team sport and then Year 5 students can nominate if more numbers are required. Parent support for coaching and transport is required for teams to be nominated.
Term 1 – Cricket and Tennis
Term 2 & 3 – Football, Netball and Soccer
Term 4 – Softball
State (District) Carnivals
Craigburn’s district for the round robin state carnivals is Southern Heights. Year 5 and 6 students can nominate to trial for these teams with trials held out of school hours. Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from district carnivals if selected. Students are notified of these trials throughout the year as information becomes available.
- Softball State Carnival – boys and girls teams – Week 11 – Wednesday 11 – Friday 13 April – INFORMATION AVAILABLE NOW TO INTERESTED STUDENTS
- Australian Football State Carnival – boys & girls teams – Week 4 – Wednesday 25 – Friday 27 May
- Netball State Carnival – Week 9 – Wednesday 29 June – Friday 1 July
- Hockey State Carnival – Week 9 – Wednesday 29 June – Friday 1 July
- Football (Soccer) State Carnival – boy & girls teams – Week 5 – Monday 22 – Wednesday 24 August
- Cricket State Carnival – Week 3 – Tuesday 1 – Thursday 3 November
- Tennis State Carnival – Week 5 – Wednesday 16 – Friday 18 November
State Championship Days and Carnivals Individual School Championships
Our district, Southern Heights holds district swimming, cross country and athletics days that we participate in, from which district teams are then selected. For swimming, diving, athletics and cross-country students must be in their 10th year or older.
- Southern Heights Swimming Carnival – Born 2012 or older – Week 8 – Wednesday 23 March 9.30am – 12.00pm – parents responsible for transport and supervision – Students can nominate to participate
- Southern Heights Athletics Carnival – Week 9 – Wednesday 30 March – Born 2012 or older – transport by bus as a school group – Students will be selected through tryouts during school.
- Mountain Bike – Year 5 & 6 students – Thursday 5 May – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Diving – Born 2012 or older – Monday 23 May – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Southern Heights Cross Country Carnival – Born 2012 or older – Week 4 – Tuesday 24 May – transport by bus as a school group – Student can nominate to participate and will be expected to train in the lead up to the event
- Golf Championship Southern Heights – Week 8 – Friday 24 June – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- 3×3 Basketball Southern Heights Carnival – Week 6 – Friday 10 June
- 5-aside Soccer Southern Heights Carnival – Week 6 – Thursday 1 September
School Sport Australia Championships
Held in various states throughout the year. State teams are chosen on a merit selection process for a variety of sports. Details of trials and registration forms are online at www.decd.sa.gov.au/teaching/sport/sports-and-competitions/interstate-nomination-process
If you require any further information re School Sport SA Sapsasa sports or can assist in coaching, please speak to Specialist PE Teacher Karen Pettman or email on firstname.lastname@example.org