Swimming lessons for Reception – Yr. 5 students and Aquatics Yr. 6 are a compulsory Department for Education (DfE) program that all public schools are involved in. The program is run by qualified swimming instructors employed by DfE.
Again this year Rec – Yr. 5 Craigburn Primary students will visit the S.A. Aquatic Centre at Marion to participate in this program, while the Year 6 students will head to Port Noarlunga to participate in Aquatics.
DfE Water Safety Education program provides an educational experience that:
- is designed to encourage students to think for themselves, make good decisions and understand the consequences through simulated open water and personal survival strategies
- promotes confidence and awareness by providing opportunities for student to develop skills and knowledge that can help to keep them and others safe in a variety of aquatic environments
- focuses on what primary school children are able to learn in their school program to ensure they are able to save themselves in potentially dangerous situations
- The program is based on the belief that “If we only have one opportunity to teach kids what they should do if they fall into open water, these are the key skills they actually need to learn”
Again this year Reception – Yr. 5 swimming will be conducted over two weeks (Yr 3-5 28th March to 1st April, Rec -Yr 2 3rd to 6th May) due to the size of our school and the facilities available at the Aquatic Centre for use e.g. pool space, meeting areas, appropriate bus drop off and collection times that fit within our school day times.
Aquatics (Yr. 6) is held at Port Noarlunga Aquatic Centre, on Tuesday 29th March.
- Information and invoices have been sent home for Yr. 3-5 and Yr. 6 today – Tuesday 1st March. Please note the due date for payment is 22nd March. (Rec – Yr. 2 information and invoices will be forwarded to families in a few weeks).
- The cost of swimming/aquatics varies from year to year which is dependant on transport costs, pool entry fee and a small equipment levy. DfE covers the cost of employing swimming instructors.
- Rec – Yr. 2 students are attending 4 days with Monday being a Student Free Day, meaning sessions will be slightly longer for the 4 days.
- As a school we always source multiple quotes and aim to find the best option and experience for our students while also being conscious of the price for families. Unfortunately the costs associated with swimming are mostly outside of our control.