Welcome back to Term 2.
We hope students, staff and families enjoyed a relaxing holiday break. A special welcome to students and families joining us for the first time.
Heading into this term, we are excited to share with you the news that Craigburn turns 40 this year. So please keep watching this space where we will be sharing more information about how we will celebrate our school’s important milestone.
We are looking forward to seeing our school community coming back together on Tuesday.
Warm regards – Paul and Nicky.
If you haven’t had the chance to do so already, please check in with the recent COVID-19 update, posted late last week. The Department and SA Health have provided updated advice in relation Face Masks, Classroom Contacts and Reporting Cases.
Since the start of the school year, approximately 25% of students and 30% of staff have tested positive to COVID-19. With these figures in mind and being aware of the current situation in South Australia where restrictions have eased, we can expect positive cases to continue to be reported within our school community.
If you need to report a positive COVID-19 case, please provide the following information by phone 82704144 or email:
- Name of your child / year level / class.
- Date symptoms first appeared.
- Date of the positive test and the type of test taken – RAT, PCR or both.
- Last day your child attended school / OSHC.
Thank you to everyone who has promptly informed us of a positive case.
A friendly reminder to keep your child/ren home if they are:
- experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.
Congratulations to Nicky Taylor who has been appointed to the Deputy Principal position for the remainder of the year. Nicky brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the deputy role and is very much looking forward to providing further leadership to our school community.
As a result of Nicky moving into the deputy role, there has been a restructure of leadership roles within the school. Three coordinator positions will soon be advertised internally, which will run for the remainder of the school year. These positions are centred around our school’s learning improvement priorities in literacy and numeracy and student wellbeing. The selection process to fill these positions will take place over the first 2 weeks of term.
We welcome Janita Bentley back to Craigburn who will work with Emma Bower in the year 2 class for the rest of the year.
Nardene Manna will continue to provide special lessons in Visual Arts.
We welcome Casey Turner to Craigburn who will teach specialist PE lessons for the first 5 weeks of term, while Karen Pettman is on long service leave.
Thank you to families who have paid their school fees in full by the 25th March, the $10 early bird discount has now been applied to your account. If you are yet to pay fees, please remember that full payment is due by the end of May.
Swimming invoices have been cancelled, and credit applied to your account if you had already paid the invoice. This will show on your statement as a negative, and can be used to pay any future invoices.
Family statements will be sent home in week 1 of this term, please check this and make any required payment. If you have any queries please contact me either on the school phone number 8270 4144 or via email.
The simplest way to make any payments is through Qkr!
Thank you. Clare Aikens – Business Manager
Starting Secondary School in 2023
The starting secondary school parent information brochure containing information on the registration of interest and enrolment process will be available from term 2.
Registration of interest for government high schools in 2023 starts at the beginning of term 2. Families with students enrolled at government primary schools will receive a registration of interest form and information by email in Week 1 of Term 2. Paper forms will be available for families if internet access is not available. Please contact the front office if you do not receive the email. Please ensure we have your most current email address.
Annual General Meeting
As mentioned in our Term 1 Week 11 wrap, our annual general meeting is scheduled for the evening of Tuesday 17 May. The AGM is held to share with our community the progress and achievements from the previous school year as well as sharing over our improvement plans moving forward.
The meeting also provides the opportunity for the election of new members to the Governing Council and various subcommittees.
Further information regarding the AGM will be posted later this week.
Students in Years 3 & 5 will sit for NAPLAN assessments in the week beginning Monday 9 May. In preparation for this, students have participated in practice tests to expose them to the online format. The Year 3 writing test will continue to be a pen and paper assessment. If you wish to have your child withdrawn from the tests, please refer to the recent post NAPLAN Parent Information 2022.
For further information, please refer to the parent and carer information brochure.
If you have any questions please contact Nicky Taylor.
- Our first student free is set for Monday 2 May – the first day of Term 2 – aligned with our local Partnership of Schools. Each year, Department for Education schools have 4 student free days and 1 school closure day scheduled. The dates for the remaining 3 student free days and school closure will be confirmed soon with adequate notification to families.
- Hats are still required as the UV continues to be 3 or above.
- Gym Toilets Painting – These have been painted over the holidays and will undergo a pressure clean next week.
- We are thankful to have a number of our regular relievers on standby for term 2 – in anticipation of any further absences to COVID-19 or other reasons.
- We have 4 high school students beginning their one week work experience placement with us in Week 2. Most of these students are ex-Craigburn students who are looking forward to their placement.
- Student Representative Council (SRC) meetings, will meet with school leadership fortnightly, at 12.30pm on Fridays, commencing in week 2. Congratulations to all students who applied for these positions. The 2022 SRC reps will receive their badges in an upcoming school assembly.
- We are unable to reschedule the swimming program this year.
School Group Tours – Registration of Interest for 2023
The following dates have been scheduled for school group tours. School group tours enable prospective school families to learn more about the learning programs offered at Craigburn by hearing from the leadership team and taking a tour of the school. Please contact us by phone or email to register your interest in attending one of the dates listed below.
- Friday 13 May – 9.15am to 10.30am – *** Please note face masks must be worn.
- Wednesday 25 May – 9.15am to 10.30am
- Thursday 16 June – 9.15am to 10.30am
Registration of Interest forms to register interest in enrolling your child/ren for 2023 can be obtained by contacting the front office by phone or email.
Families residing within the Craigburn Primary School zone and / or who have a child/ren currently enrolled at Craigburn are given priority placement.
- Families must use the ‘Find a School’ link on the department website to determine their zoned school.
- Proof of residential address must be required prior to enrolment being offered.
- Registrations of Interest are only accepted for 2023.
Student Information Details
- It is important that we have up to date student information including current contact details for all families – home addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, emergency contacts, shared care arrangements and any other relevant information for our school records.
- This information is particularly important for our Year 6 cohort where address details are required for High School transition.
- If you have changed any of your contact details or are unsure of the details we have on our database, please contact us by phone 82704144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All changes of address will require proof in writing.
- During the year, if you have any changes to your contact details, please communicate these to us asap.
Early Morning Arrival
- Students are allowed to start arriving at school from 8:30am, unless attending OSHC. Students who are on the school grounds before 8.30am will be directed to the front office as teachers are not on duty prior to this time.
- The school siren sounds at 8.50am indicating all students need to be in their classrooms ready to start the day.
Staff Car Park, The Drop Off and Pick Up Zones and Local Traffic
- A friendly reminder that the staff car park is for staff only and for families displaying a ‘disability parking permit’.
- Keeping all children safe is our priority, so please do not use the staff car park to drop or collect children, unless pre-arranged with the front office.
- The Drop Off and Pick Up Zones (Murrays Hill Rd and Heath Lane) display signage informing motorists that parking in the Zones are restricted to 2 minutes from 3.00 to 3.30pm. These traffic controls were put in place by the City of Onkaparinga to better support traffic flow and minimise traffic congestion on Murrays Hill Rd prior to school dismissal.
- Traffic rangers visit schools (mostly without notice) to monitor these zones, and will issue infringement notices when appropriate. Parents and friends who arrive early for pick up are encouraged to find suitable off-street parking and arrange a location to safely meet their child/ren.
- REMINDER! Student Free Day Monday 2nd May
- COVID-19 Update – Start Term 2
- REMINDER! Mothers Day – Surprise Gift Bags
- Reminder – 2022 Soccer Registrations
Yearly Planner Update
Term 2 – With COVID restrictions in place, we will continue to post updates once they are confirmed.
- Monday 2/5 – Student Free Day
- Tuesday 10/5 – Friday 20/5 – NAPLAN
- Friday 13/5 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Wednesday 25/5 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Thursday 26/5 – National Sorry Day
- Friday 27/5 – Southern Heights Cross Country
- Friday 27/5 to Thursday 2/6 – National Reconciliation Week
- Sunday 5/6 – World Environment Day
- Monday 13/6 – Queens Birthday Public Holiday
- Thursday 16/6 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Friday 8/7 – End of Term 2 – Early Dismissal
Term 3 – With COVID restrictions in place, we will continue to post updates once they are confirmed.
- Monday 25/7 – First Day of Term
- Friday 19/7 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Tuesday 16/8 – Whole School Photos
- Monday 22/8 – Book Week begins
- Friday 26/8 – Book Week Dress Up Day, Book Fair starts
- Monday 29/8 to Tuesday 30/8 – Book Fair
- Friday 30/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal
Term 4 – With COVID restrictions in place, we will continue to post updates once they are confirmed.
- Monday 17/10 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/10 – World Teachers Day, School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Friday 4/11 – Sports Day
- Friday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Wednesday 16/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Wednesday 23/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Wednesday 30/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 6/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 12/12 – Celebration Night
- Wednesday 14/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Friday 16/12 – End of Term 4 – Early Dismissal.