This week represents National Volunteer Week (NVW) – an annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of our nation’s volunteers. Volunteering Australia has announced the theme for National Volunteer Week 2022 – ‘Better Together.’
As part of National Volunteer Week, we acknowledge and thank all Craigburn parents, carers and friends who make a difference and help our school in so many ways – e.g. canteen, school garden , classroom support, sports coaching, fundraising, camps / excursions, library, governing council, discos, uniform shop, special interest areas and much more. Thank you for your ongoing support.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the past 2 years have been challenging for schools to take advantage of how volunteers can support and enrich learning programs and activities. However, moving forward into 2022, we are looking at ways to further build our volunteer capacity.
***On Friday 27th May, we invite Craigburn parents, carers and friends to a special volunteer presentation and morning tea – as an opportunity to connect with our parent community and share how to get involved in being a school volunteer.
Please save the date / time 27th May – 9.15am – 10.30am. To register your attendance please, email the school – firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 8270 4144.
Best wishes to all for the week ahead.
Kind regards – Paul and Nicky
National Walk Safely to School Day – Friday 20 May
This Friday 20 May is National Walk Safely to School Day when all primary school children are encouraged to walk and commute safely to school.
Walk Safely to School Day asks that we all consider our transport habits and try to incorporate more walking as part of a healthy, active way to get around. And although walking all the way to school isn’t realistic for many of us, it’s quite easy to figure out how you can build a walk into your family’s daily routine.
You can teach your child the healthy habit of walking more by:
- Walking with them the whole way to school
- If they get the bus or train, walk past your usual stop and get on at the next stop
- If you have to drive, park the car a few blocks away from the school and walk the rest of the way.
Regular exercise like walking with your child not only helps them (and you!) beat chronic problems like obesity, heart disease, behavioural and mental health issues and diabetes. It also gives you a great opportunity to teach your child safe ways to behave around roads and traffic.
Students and families who walk to school on Friday will be greeted at the school gate by our student leaders and leadership and receive a fresh piece of fruit to help continue their healthy start to the school day.
We are proud of the way our year 3 and 5 students began their NAPLAN tests last week. Every student met the challenges of online testing, striving to do their best on every occasion. This is the first time these students have sat the NAPLAN tests.
In last week’s Year 5 Language and Conventions test there was a statewide internet outage as students were halfway through the test. This coming Tuesday, students will be able to complete this test. Our students are to be commended for their resilience and adaptability to this situation.
On Monday, students will undertake the Numeracy test.
Students who have been absent during the NAPLAN testing period will have the opportunity to catch up this week.
Wonderful to see the Craigburn Crew’sers (Pedal Prix team) back in action in 2022 with their first race of the season at Tailem Bend on Saturday. Thank you to Tristan Fergusson, Mark Lemmey and supporting parents for giving up their time to make this happen.
Check the race results here.
Congratulations to our Sapsasa cricket team who defeated Woodend in a close match on Friday. Thank you to Mark Lemmey and supporting parents.
AGM – Rescheduled to Tuesday 14th June
As posted recently, the ongoing COVID situation continues to impact school life with positive student cases occurring across all year levels over the first two weeks of the term. Staff too, have been affected and required to quarantine at home.
Given these circumstances, it has been difficult to prepare and plan for our annual general meeting (AGM) which was scheduled for this Tuesday evening 17th May.
However, after much consideration, the AGM has been postponed and rescheduled for Tuesday 14th June. We look forward to sharing more information soon.
Federal Election Day Sausage Sizzle and School Garden Fundraiser
Federal Election Day is coming up on Saturday 21st May and Craigburn Primary will once again be hosting a polling booth.
We will be running a ‘democracy sausage sizzle’ from 9.00am to 1.00 pm and would be grateful for any parent volunteers to help out – even if only for an hour or two. We have volunteer spaces between: 9:00 – 11:00 + 11:00 -1pm
Please check in with the recents posts where we are looking to raise funds for our environmental learning centre
- Federal Election Day Sausage Sizzle 21st May – Volunteers Required
- School Garden Fundraiser Saturday 21st May
If you can help out – please contact us via phone 8270 4144 or email email@example.com by no later than 3.30pm Friday 20th May.
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday – please come along and grab something from the sausage sizzle or buy a plant.
Emily – CPS School Garden
Student Representative Council (SRC)
We held our first meeting on Friday welcoming our newly elected members. We discussed the importance of their role across the school whilst sharing initiatives and projects that previous SRC members have led.
Our meetings are scheduled fortnightly at 12.30pm on Fridays. We look forward to students’ contribution throughout the year.
As we have now finalised our Student leaders the badges have been ordered and are to arrive in the coming weeks. Once we have received the badges we will formally acknowledge our leaders at a whole school assembly.
- Sunsmart – Hats are still required as the UV continues to be 3 or above.
- As teaching staff are being impacted by COVID, we are thankful to have a number of our regular relievers on standby for term 2.
If you need to report a positive COVID-19 case, please provide the following information by phone 82704144 or email:
- Name of your child / year level / class.
- Date symptoms first appeared.
- Date of the positive test and the type of test taken – RAT, PCR or both.
- Last day your child attended school / OSHC.
Thank you to everyone who has promptly informed us of a positive case.
A friendly reminder to keep your child/ren home if they are:
- experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.
School Group Tours – Registration of Interest for 2023
The following dates have been scheduled for school group tours. School group tours enable prospective school families to learn more about the learning programs offered at Craigburn by hearing from the leadership team and taking a tour of the school. Please contact us by phone or email to register your interest in attending one of the dates listed below.
- Wednesday 25 May – 9.15am to 10.30am – *** Please note face masks must be worn.
- Thursday 16 June – 9.15am to 10.30am
Registration of Interest forms to register interest in enrolling your child/ren for 2023 can be obtained by contacting the front office by phone or email.
Families residing within the Craigburn Primary School zone and / or who have a child/ren currently enrolled at Craigburn are given priority placement.
- Families must use the ‘Find a School’ link on the department website to determine their zoned school.
- Proof of residential address must be required prior to enrolment being offered.
- Registrations of Interest are only accepted for 2023.
Early Morning Arrival
- Students are allowed to start arriving at school from 8:30am, unless attending OSHC. Students who are on the school grounds before 8.30am will be directed to the front office as teachers are not on duty prior to this time.
- The school siren sounds at 8.50am indicating all students need to be in their classrooms ready to start the day.
Staff Car Park, The Drop Off and Pick Up Zones and Local Traffic
- A friendly reminder that the staff car park is for staff only and for families displaying a ‘disability parking permit’.
- Keeping all children safe is our priority, so please do not use the staff car park to drop or collect children, unless pre-arranged with the front office.
- The Drop Off and Pick Up Zones (Murrays Hill Rd and Heath Lane) display signage informing motorists that parking in the Zones are restricted to 2 minutes from 3.00 to 3.30pm. These traffic controls were put in place by the City of Onkaparinga to better support traffic flow and minimise traffic congestion on Murrays Hill Rd prior to school dismissal.
- Traffic rangers visit schools (mostly without notice) to monitor these zones, and will issue infringement notices when appropriate. Parents and friends who arrive early for pick up are encouraged to find suitable off-street parking and arrange a location to safely meet their child/ren.
- COVID-19 – Classroom Contact Update – May 13
- Annual General Meeting – Postponed
- COVID-19 – Classroom Contact Update – May 12
- COVID-19 – Classroom Contact Update – May 11
- COVID-19 – Classroom Contact Update – May 10
Yearly Planner Update
- Tuesday 10/5 – Friday 20/5 – NAPLAN
- Tuesday 24/5 – Southern Heights Cross Country
- Wednesday 25/5 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Thursday 26/5 – National Sorry Day
- Friday 27/5 – Volunteers Morning Tea
- Friday 27/5 to Thursday 2/6 – National Reconciliation Week
- Tuesday 31/5 – Sapsasa Girls Netball
- Wednesday 1/6 – Sapasa Boys Netball
- Sunday 5/6 – World Environment Day
- Monday 13/6 – Queens Birthday Public Holiday
- Thursday 16/6 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Wednesday 6/7 – Mid Year Reports sent home
- Friday 8/7 – End of Term 2 – Early Dismissal
- Monday 25/7 – First Day of Term
- Friday 19/7 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Tuesday 16/8 – Whole School Photos
- Monday 22/8 – Book Week begins
- Friday 26/8 – Book Week Dress Up Day, Book Fair starts
- Monday 29/8 to Tuesday 30/8 – Book Fair
- Friday 30/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal
- Monday 17/10 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/10 – World Teachers Day, School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Friday 4/11 – Sports Day
- Friday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Wednesday 16/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Wednesday 23/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Wednesday 30/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 6/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 12/12 – Celebration Night
- Wednesday 14/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Friday 16/12 – End of Term 4 – Early Dismissal.