As we approach the midpoint of the school year, we would like to thank everyone in our school community for their support in what has been a most challenging first semester, mostly due to the ongoing complexities of COVID-19.
Whilst there have been numerous student and staff absences over the past 6 months, we have been able to adapt accordingly and kept school life as normal as possible. You would have noticed that your child/ren has had numerous relieving teachers, due to the high levels of staff leave. Students have adapted well to the various staff changes, with many relieving teachers complimentary of the behaviour of Craigburn students.
We would like to acknowledge all teaching and support staff, including our regular relieving teachers, for their efforts over the last two terms – we wish them a restful and safe holiday break.
Thank you too, to parents and friends for your ongoing support of our school. With COVID restrictions easing in Term 2, it has been pleasing to see families back on school grounds and connecting with teaching and support staff.
Best wishes to all for the week ahead and the upcoming school holidays.
Thank You Sue
A special mention and acknowledgement to Sue Grundy who retires as co-canteen manager this week. Prior to working in the canteen, Sue was a member of the Craigburn community as a parent of two children. Sue is looking forward to her retirement and spending time with her family. Thank you Sue.
SRC Charity Fundraiser – Casual Day – A Splash of Colour
We look forward to everyone wearing a ‘splash of colour’ on Friday to share some brightness as we reach the end of term.
The book donations are coming in thick and fast to support the Mullumbimby Primary School’s Flood Recovery program. A big thank you to those who have already donated a used / new book. We are sure the students at Mullumbimby will be grateful and excited to have their library replenished.
Details here, just in case you missed the previous post. SRC Casual Day Charity Fundraiser – Mullumbimby Flood Recovery
Thank you Archie – see below.
Early Dismissal – Friday 8 July
A reminder that school finishes at 2.10pm on Friday. OSHC commences at this time.
Student Free Days and School Closure
This week we will be finalising the dates for the remaining 3 student free days and 1 school closure day for 2022. Once finalised and confirmed, we will share these dates.
Mid-Year Student Reports
Mid-year reports will be sent home on Wednesday afternoon. Over recent weeks, teachers have been busy writing students’ reports based on assessments and evidence of learning over the first semester – noting the impact of student and staff attendance due to COVID-19.
When receiving and reading your child’s report, please take time to acknowledge their efforts and achievements as well as how they are progressing with their learning dispositions (eg attitude, effort, work habits, etc).
You may wish to use these conversation starters:
- What is something you have achieved of which you are proud?
- What are three things you did to help your classmates?
- What are the three most important things you learned?
- What is something that was hard for you at the start of the year but is easy now?
- In what area do you feel you have improved?
- What is something you taught your teacher or classmates?
- Of the books you read, which was your favourite? Why?
- What was the best piece of writing that you did? Why do you think it is your best?
- What are three describing words (adjectives) that best describe your school year so far?
For students in Years 1 – 7, A-E grades are assigned based on evidence of learning processes and products that reflect their progress against the achievement standards within the Australian Curriculum.
- An ‘A’ grade indicates that the student has shown a thorough knowledge and understanding of a topic and can apply that information in unfamiliar situations.
- Typically a ‘C’ grade means a student is achieving what is expected of them at that point in their learning. This is a considerable achievement because of the high expectations built in to the achievement standards.
- An ‘E’ grade means the student is just beginning to work towards the achievement standard.
- As per the Department’s reporting requirements, letter grades are not assigned to students in Reception, however the report for Reception students provides information to families based on the Foundation Year level within the Australian Curriculum.
- Please contact your child’s teacher if you need clarification, have any concerns or are seeking advice on how to support your child at home.
Our netball, soccer and basketball competitions have provided great opportunities for children to learn what team sports are all about, with the emphasis on learning new skills and being part of a team. Many thanks to the parents who have assisted with coaching and managing teams – without these people the competitions would not go ahead. It’s rewarding to see so many students and families involved in school sports.
Similarly, the Sapsasa sports competitions have provided Craigburn students with the opportunity to represent their school and compete against students from other schools. Thank you to our PE teacher, Karen Pettman, who coordinates these opportunities, with thanks also to parents who have helped with coaching and supporting the teams.
- Blackwood Rotary Art Show 2022
- What’s The Buzz – Aberfoyle Community Centre
- REMINDER! Canteen Price Increase and IOU’s
- The International Competitions and Assessments for Schools – ICAS
- SRC Casual Day Charity Fundraiser – Mullumbimby Flood Recovery
Yearly Planner Update
- Wednesday 6/7 – Mid Year Reports sent home
- Friday 8/7 – Casual Day – End of Term 2 – Early Dismissal 2.10pm
- Monday 25/7 – First Day of Term
- Friday 19/7 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Tuesday 16/8 – Whole School Photos
- Monday 22/8 – Book Week begins
- Friday 26/8 – Book Week Dress Up Day, Book Fair starts
- Monday 29/8 to Tuesday 30/8 – Book Fair
- Friday 30/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal
- Monday 17/10 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/10 – World Teachers Day, School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Friday 4/11 – Sports Day
- Friday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Wednesday 16/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Wednesday 23/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Wednesday 30/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 6/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 12/12 – Celebration Night
- Wednesday 14/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Friday 16/12 – End of Term 4 – Early Dismissal