Welcome back to Term 3, we hope all students, families and staff enjoyed the holiday break and are ready for the term ahead. Thank you for taking time to read through this week’s wrap with information and news to start the term, including an important COVID-19 update.
The ongoing COVID-19 situation continues to impact our lives where we are currently seeing a significant increase of cases.
Attached below is a letter from Professor Nicola Spurrier and our Department’s Chief Executive, Professor Martin Westwell, reiterating the importance of wearing face masks when indoors at school. Please take time to read the letter which reminds us of the practical steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of spreading and catching COVID-19 in our school community.
Thank you to families for your support and diligence in reporting COVID-19 cases to us when they arise. These are reported daily to the department’s COVID-19 response team who then determine when COVID-19 transmission reaches a certain outbreak threshold. If and when an outbreak occurs, temporary measures will be implemented based on SA Health advice. For example, a recommendation for PCR testing.
Testing requirements for classroom outbreaks have changed. Asymptomatic students and staff should use a RAT test, and symptomatic students and staff should undertake PCR testing.
As per the letter, face masks are:
- strongly recommended for all adults (including visitors) while indoors, except when it impedes ability to teach
- strongly recommended for students in years 3 to 6 while indoors.
If you are invited by your child’s teacher inside their classroom or visit the administration area, we kindly ask that you wear a mask (unless you have an exemption). Whilst this is not mandatory, we would like to minimise the transmission of any illness for the safety and wellbeing of students and staff.
Once again, to support the safety and wellbeing of students and staff, any student who shows signs of illness at school will be asked to be collected (unless they have a medical certificate to verify they are well and able to attend school).
We have appreciated the excellent support and response from families throughout the year – thank you.
- Anita Wright, who has returned from leave to teach the Year 2s (in A3), in tandem with Brooke Hamden.
- Sophie McDonald, who is working with the Year 3/4 team on Wednesdays in Mrs Khalaf’s class and Thursdays & Fridays in tandem with Miss MacMahon.
Janine McKay is now working on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as student wellbeing leader.
The following staff are on leave to start the new term.
- Clare Aikens, Business Manager – returning in Week 4.
- Genna Dow, Reception – returning mid-week 3 – Mrs Fokkens relieving.
- Andrea Grant, Year 5/6 – returning Week 2 – Mrs Jones relieving.
Term Activities – Key Dates
Please read further down for an update to the key dates for terms 3 and 4. We especially look forward to whole school events including Book Week, Sports Day and Celebration Night.
A reminder that school photo day is scheduled for Tuesday 16 August. Please check the recent news post for more information.
Student Free Days / School Closure
The new Governing Council met recently to endorse the 3 remaining student free days and school closure day for 2022. Please mark these dates in your calendars:
- Student Free Day – Friday 2nd September – Term 3 Week 6
- School Closure – Monday 5th September – Term 3 Week 7 (Royal Adelaide Show Week)
- Student Free Day – Monday 17th October – Term 4 Week 1
- Student Free Day – Friday 25th November – Term 4 Week 6
On student free days, staff will be undertaking professional learning relevant to our improvement priorities.
OSHC will be open for bookings on the student free days, however will be closed on the school closure day.
The unpredictable nature of the ongoing COVID-19 situation has greatly impacted planning ahead for school activities, in particular school camps.
Over many years, students at Craigburn in years 3-6 have been given opportunities to participate in school camps. Camps are seen as a privilege and not an entitlement. Teachers may choose to conduct a camp where the program and the venue complements the classroom learning program. Parents are advised as early as possible in the year if a camp is being organised with information related to program, venue and costs being communicated.
Additional factors needed to be considered in planning camps this year, including:
- meeting the department’s updated camp policy requirements – supervision ratios, camp activities linked to the curriculum, health needs and medication management, etc
- assessing student and staff attendance with higher than normal rates of absenteeism due to illness
- arrangements for students unable to attend
- the availability and suitability of venues – now with COVID-19 management plans
- non-refundable deposits for camp venues / sites
- the affordability for families, with the increasing costs of transport, food and accommodation
- and the numbers of teachers and parents available to volunteer their time
After much discussion with teachers and taking all of these factors into consideration, we have made the decision to withhold school camps for 2022.
Teachers in their year level teams, are considering alternative options linked to the curriculum to provide enrichment activities outside of the classroom (eg excursions).
Canteen Volunteers Wanted
The canteen would like to re-engage with our parent community and is seeking volunteers. If you have any time to spare whether it be monthly, fortnightly or even just once a term, please consider helping out. Children love seeing their parents serving behind the counter and it’s also a good way to meet other parents.
Please contact Sue in the canteen on 8270 4144 Monday – Friday 9.00am – 2.00pm if you are interested.
To volunteer – a working with children check and a RRHAN-EC Certificate is required, if you do not have these, please let us know, so we can help you get them, it’s very easy!
2023 Reception Transition
Families that have a sibling enrolment for starting Reception at Craigburn in 2023 will receive a letter early this term, outlining information for transition visits, which will occur over three consecutive Wednesdays on 16th, 23rd and 30th of November.
Mid-year intake in schools
In 2024, schools will be introducing a mid-year intake, with children starting reception in Term 1 or Term 3.
Term 1 students will complete 4 terms of reception and term 3 students will complete 6 terms of reception.
More information will be provided at a later date.
To Note / Friendly Reminders
- Whole School Photos are scheduled for Tuesday 16th August – Week 4 of Term 3.
- Moving School in 2023? To support our staff and class planning for 2023, should your child/ren be leaving Craigburn Primary School (aside from current Year 6s) to attend another school next year, please notify us via the front office. Thank you.
- Change of Contact Details To help us keep up to date with family and emergency contact details please contact the front office with your change of details.
- School Photos – Tuesday August 16th 2022
- Lost Property Collection
- Message from our Uniform Supplier – DLC Clothing
Term 3 and 4 – Key Dates
- Monday 25/7 – First Day of Term
- Friday 29/7 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Saturday 6/8 – Pedal Prix, Tailem Bend
- Wednesday 10/8 – ICAS competitions start
- Friday 12/8 – Sapsasa Boys Basketball
- Monday 15/8 – Governing Council
- Tuesday 16/8 – Whole School Photos
- Monday 22/8 – Book Week begins
- Friday 26/8 – Book Week Dress Up Day, Book Fair starts
- Monday 29/8 to Tuesday 30/8 – Book Fair
- Monday 29/8 – Footsteps begins
- Thursday 1/9 – Father’s Day Stall
- Friday 2/9 – Student Free Day – Royal Adelaide Show begins
- Monday 5/9 – School Closure
- Friday 9/9 – Premiers Challenges End, Sapsasa Athletics Day – MIle End
- Monday 19/9 – Governing Council
- Friday 30/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal 2.10pm
- Monday 17/10 – Student Free Day
- Tuesday 18/10 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/10 – World Teachers Day, School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Monday 31/10 – Governing Council
- Friday 4/11 – Sports Day
- Friday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Wednesday 16/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Wednesday 23/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Friday 25/11 – Student Free Day
- Monday 28/11 – Governing Council
- Wednesday 30/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 6/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 12/12 – Celebration Night
- Wednesday 14/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Friday 16/12 – End of Term 4 – Early Dismissal