Dear Craigburn families and friends
This year marks the final year of my 5 year tenure as principal at Craigburn.
Over recent months, our school’s Education Director, Tim McLeod, has undertaken a process to consider the principal position for the next tenured period. This has involved meeting with our Governing Council chair Katelyn Adams, gaining insights from both individual and school performance reviews, visiting Craigburn to observe teacher practice and seeking feedback from students and staff.
After considering these reviews and feedback, a recommendation was made to the Executive Director of Schools, that I be reappointed to the principal position at Craigburn for a further 5 years. This has been approved and confirmed – so I am now pleased to inform students, staff and families that I will continue in this role.
From a personal perspective, I feel humbled and privileged to be able to continue as principal of Craigburn.
Our teaching and support staff are exceptional people, who over the last 2-3 years have positively adapted to the many challenges brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. They are committed to ongoing improvement in their practice, where our achievements and results are reflective of their hard work and collaborative efforts.
I would like to acknowledge and thank families and friends for their ongoing support of school life at Craigburn. This has come about through everyone’s active interest, engagement and participation in their child/ren’s learning, school events and activities.
The most important assets we have at Craigburn are our students. They are a fantastic group of young people who come to school every day, ready to learn and engage in school life.
I look forward to continuing to lead our school community and coming together for upcoming events including sports day, our school’s 40th year milestone and end of year celebration night.
Kind regards, Paul
From our Governing Council Chair
On behalf of the Governing Council, we are thrilled at the reappointment of Paul Luke as the Principal of our school.
Having served on the Governing Council for seven years, consistency of leadership has always been of paramount importance to our school community, and the news of Paul’s reappointment for another five years is the most welcome news.
Paul’s leadership for the past five years, particularly during the uncertainty of the pandemic, has been steadfast and unwavering, and the school community has been incredibly lucky to have someone of Paul’s calibre guiding us during this time.
The achievements and results of our Craigburn students are truly commendable, and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Paul, the leadership team, and teaching and support staff for their ongoing commitment to our children and wider school community.
Katelyn Adams – Governing Council Chair
End of Term – Thanks
As we near the end of term 3, we would like to acknowledge and thank parents and friends for their ongoing support.
A special mention and thank you to the coordinators, coaches and managers of our after-hours school sports programs in soccer, netball and basketball. We trust children and families enjoyed their winter seasons of school sports.
Well done to students who participated in extracurricular activities over the term including, Book Week, sports, Choir, Tournament of Minds, Sapsasa, International Competitions Assessments for Schools (ICAS) SRC and excursions. This year’s Premier’s Challenges (Reading and Be Active) have ended, with results being entered into the department’s databases. Awards, certificates and medals in these challenges typically arrive in mid-November. Thank you to Jane (Library SSO), Karen Pettman (PE) for their coordination of these Challenges.
A big ‘shout out’ and thanks to our teaching and support staff for their efforts over the last ten weeks. We wish them all a well-deserved break, although typically, many hours will be spent preparing for term 4.
Best wishes to students, staff and families for a safe school holiday period and October long weekend.
End of Term Casual Day Fundraiser – Supporting our local country fire services
A reminder that the SRC has organised an end of term casual day fundraiser on Friday 30 September to support our local country fire services. With bushfire season fast approaching, SRC members agreed that it was important to recognise and support the wonderful volunteers of our local Country Fire Services (CFS) at Cherry Gardens and Coromandel Valley. Students are encouraged to wear some red, orange and yellow – the colours we associate with the CFS. Details here.
Early Dismissal – Reminder to Families
- Early Dismissal – Friday 30th September at 2.10pm
- OSHC open, normal payment fee.
Remaining student free days for 2022
- Monday 17th October – Term 4 Week 1
- Friday 25th November – Term 4 Week 6
Save the dates
- Sports Day – Friday 4th November – – Term 4 Week 3
- Craigburn’s 40th Birthday open afternoon / evening – Tuesday 15th November – Term 4 Week 5
- Celebration Night – Monday 12th December – Term 4 Week 9
- Year 6 Graduation – Wednesday 14th December – Term 4 Week 9
Planning for 2023
- Planning is well underway for the 2023 school year, which includes organising staffing, class structures and placements.
- To assist with our planning, we would appreciate it if you could advise us if your child(ren) will not continue their schooling at Craigburn next year. If this is the case, please contact the school via phone 8270 4144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org This does not include any current Year 6 students. Thank you.
NAPLAN – Years 3 and 5
Earlier this year in May, students in Years 3 and 5 sat the NAPLAN online assessments. The results of these assessments have been recently distributed to schools.
A preliminary analysis of our students’ results has shown increased growth in all aspects of both the Year 3 and 5 assessments – in Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation and Numeracy. This also includes an increased number of students achieving in the high bands.
Whilst these results are very pleasing to acknowledge and share, our focus remains on improving structured literacy and numeracy practices across the school to support the achievement and growth of all students.
Staff will undertake a more detailed analysis of these assessments along with the recently held ACER Progressive Achievement Tests in PAT-R (reading) and PAT-M (maths) on our next student free day on the first day back of term 4, Monday 17 October – to further support and plan for improvements in literacy and numeracy practices.
A detailed analysis of these NAPLAN results will be published in our next Annual Report in 2023.
Please note – Parents / carers of Year 3 and 5 students who participated in the NAPLAN this year will receive individual results in a sealed envelope on Thursday 29 September. Please make time to talk with your child’s teacher should you have any concerns or would like assistance in analysing the information.
- School Committees – Register Your Interest
- End of Term Casual Day Fundraiser
- Lost Property Collection
- Kelly Sports Weekender Program
- Aberfoyle Park High School Ignite Program 2024
- Griffin Aikido
- Visiting Author – Dr Cameron Stelzer, The Story Doctor
- Sports Day 2022
Term 3 and 4 – Key Dates
- Thursday 29/9 – Book Week Performance
- Friday 30/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal 2.10pm
- Monday 17/10 – Student Free Day
- Tuesday 18/10 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/10 – World Teachers Day, School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Monday 31/10 – Governing Council
- Friday 4/11 – Sports Day
- Friday 11/11 – Remembrance Day
- Tuesday 15/11 – Craigburn’s 40th Birthday Celebration – Open Afternoon / Evening
- Wednesday 16/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Wednesday 23/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Friday 25/11 – Student Free Day
- Monday 28/11 – Governing Council
- Wednesday 30/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 6/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 12/12 – Celebration Night
- Wednesday 14/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Friday 16/12 – End of Term 4 – Casual Day Fundraiser – Early Dismissal 2.10pm