School Sport SA – Sapsasa, organises and conducts various competitions for primary school students throughout the school year. There are 3 levels of Sapsasa teams/sports:
- Statewide Schools Competitions (school-based knockout)
- District and State Carnivals/Championship
- Individual School Championships.
Team sports are generally for Year 5 and 6 students and individual sports for students 10-12 years of age. Sapsasa information will be published on the school blog and daily student notices. Further information is available online: www.education.sa.gov.au/schools-and-educators/programs-students/school-sport-sa
Statewide (Knockout) competitions – School teams
Schools can choose to nominate school teams in school-based competitions if there is enough student interest and coaches available. At Craigburn, preference is first given to Year 6 students playing the particular team sport and then Year 5 students can nominate if more numbers are required. Parent support for coaching and transport is required for teams to be nominated.
Term 1 – Cricket
Term 2 & 3 – Football, Netball and Soccer
Term 4 – Softball and Tennis
State (District) Carnivals – District teams
Craigburn’s district for the round robin state carnivals is Southern Heights. Year 5 and 6 students can nominate to trial for these teams with trials held out of school hours. Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from district carnivals if selected. Students are notified of these trials throughout the year in the student notices, as information becomes available.
- Softball State Carnival – boys and girls teams – Week 10 – Monday 3 – Wednesday 5 April – INFORMATION AVAILABLE NOW TO INTERESTED STUDENTS
- Netball Day Carnival – Week 2 – Monday 8 May
- Australian Football State Carnival – boys & girls teams – Week 3 – Wednesday 17 – Friday 19 May
- Netball State Carnival – Week 8– Wednesday 21 – Friday 23 June
- Hockey State Carnival – Week 8 – Wednesday 21 – Friday 23 June
- Football (Soccer) State Carnival – boy & girls teams – Week 5 – Monday 21 – Wednesday 23 August
- Cricket State Carnival – Week 5 – Tuesday 14 – Thursday 16 November
- Tennis State Carnival – Week 6 – Wednesday 22 – Friday 24 November
State Championship Days and Carnivals Individual School Championships
Our district, Southern Heights holds district swimming, cross country and athletics days that we participate in, from which district teams are then selected. For swimming, athletics and cross-country students must be in their 10th year or older.
- Southern Heights Swimming Carnival – Born 2013 or older – Week 5 – Wednesday 1 March 9.30am – 12.00pm – parents responsible for transport and supervision – Students can nominate to participate. INFORMATION AVAILABLE THIS WEEK TO INTERESTED STUDENTS
- Southern Heights Track and Field Carnival – Week 9 – Thursday 30 March – Born 2013 or older – transport by bus as a school group – Students will be selected through tryouts during school.
- Mountain Bike – Year 5 & 6 students – Thursday 11 May – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Southern Heights Cross Country Carnival – Born 2013 or older – Week 3 – Tuesday 16 May – transport by bus as a school group – Students can nominate to participate and will be expected to train in the lead up to the event
- Cross Country State Championship – Week 6 – Thursday 8 June – Students gain selection from the Southern Heights Championship.
- Golf Championship Southern Heights – Week 8 – Friday 23 June – parents responsible for transport and supervision
- Basketball – Week 2 – TBC
- Track and Field State Championship Metro – Week 9 – Tuesday 19 September. Students gain selection from the Southern Heights Carnival in Term 1.
School Sport Australia Championships
Held in various states throughout the year. State teams are chosen on a merit selection process for a variety of sports. Details of trials and registration forms are online at www.decd.sa.gov.au/teaching/sport/sports-and-competitions/interstate-nomination-process
If you require any further information re School Sport SA Sapsasa sports or can assist in coaching, please speak to Specialist PE Teacher Karen Pettman or email on firstname.lastname@example.org