Dear Families and Friends
As we reach the halfway point of term one, we want to express our gratitude for your ongoing support of our school.
Unlike this time last year, we have valued families being able to come onto school grounds and visit classrooms and chat with teachers before lessons start or at the end of the school day.
We also appreciate the generosity of our families, who have volunteered their time to support various activities and events, including school sports. The Friends of Craigburn (parent and community engagement team) have been busy organising a number of exciting and fun events for students and families, including the first school disco on Friday 24 March – details to follow soon. Other events are planned including, Coffee and Chat mornings, Mother’s & Father’s Days stalls and breakfasts, Quiz Night, Colour Fun Run and more. Please stay tuned for more information about these events. Please also check in with our calendar on a regular basis to keep up to date with school events. If you would like to join the Friends of Craigburn team to support the planning and organisation of school events, please nominate here.
We especially look forward to everyone joining us for Sports Day on Thursday 6 April. The program will finish one hour earlier than previous years with an early dismissal from 2.10pm. Our students are doing an exceptional job preparing for the day. The energy and enthusiasm in each of the house teams is first class, with sports leaders leading the practising of team chants and the health hustle.
Annual General Meeting
We invite and welcome parents to our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Monday 20 March, in the Library commencing at 6:30pm and concluding at 8.00pm. Prior to the meeting, light refreshments and nibbles will be available from 6:00pm. Crèche facilities will also be available.
The AGM is a great opportunity for parents to come together with the Governing Council, Leadership team and staff to share in our school’s achievements and highlights of the previous school year.
The AGM also serves as an opportunity for parents to nominate for the 2023 Governing Council and / or nominate for one of many sub-committees. Sub-committees provide support and direction for a range of school activities enabling us to further build and maintain a strong community culture. Further details here.
Last Tuesday, students in Years 3 and 5 participated in the NAPLAN trial tests in preparation for NAPLAN to formally commence on Wednesday 15 March.
NAPLAN is the annual national assessment for all students in Years 3, 5, 7, & 9 and will begin on Wednesday 15th, and continue throughout the week following into the next week. Our students will commence their NAPLAN testing Wednesday with the Writing test. Students who are unable to sit the Writing test on Wednesday only have the provision to catch up on the following day, Thursday. On Thursday 16th students will sit the Reading test, Monday – Language and Conventions and finish off with Numeracy on Tuesday 21st March. The rest of the week will be used for students who have missed any of the tests to catch up.
Please ensure your child attends school on these dates, after a good night’s sleep and healthy breakfast in the morning.
This year catch up days for students, who were absent on a test day will continue into the next week.
Information about withdrawal from the test(s)
Withdrawals are intended to address issues such as religious beliefs and philosophical objections to testing. Participation by all students is expected; however, in certain circumstances students may be withdrawn from the testing program by their parent/carer. Ultimately, this is a decision for parents/carers but is best done in collaboration with the school. If you wish to withdraw your child, a request form must be submitted by Tuesday 14th March. Request forms are available at the front office.
Useful Tips for Parents
- Kidspot – How to help your child with exam anxiety leading up to NAPLAN
- Information for NAPLAN parents and carers
First training session on Tuesday 7 March – school oval, 8.00am start – for students who will be turning 10 and above in 2023.
After School Sports Update
Sports Coordinators will soon be meeting to coordinate the winter seasons of netball and soccer. A reminder – to nominate your child/ren in playing after school sports, please complete and submit the attached player nomination form.
Access to School Toilets
In ensuring the health and safety of our students, we kindly request that parents / adults refrain from using the student toilets when on school grounds. If you need to use the staff toilets please visit the front office. Thank you.
Festival of Music School Choir
This Thursday, Craigburn will be hosting a combined Choir rehearsal with students from Aberfoyle Hub and Aldgate schools.
Thank you to those of you who have returned your child/ren’s media consent form. If you haven’t yet done so, please find a copy attached here – please complete and send back to school. Thank you.
Calm Kid Central Webinar Series 2023
Presented By Clinical Child Psychologist Kirrilie Smout (Director of Developing Minds Psychology). Kirrilie has 25 years experience working with children and families, is the author of two books about children’s mental health and regularly consults with national bodies about child mental health. She is the founder and Director of Calm Kid Central, an online program of courses to help children manage emotional health challenges.
Register for 1 or all 3 for FREE
Calm and Confident Kids Webinar 1
Learn to help children with a tendency towards worry, stress and anxiety. Includes information about common types of anxiety in children, causes of anxiety, and practical strategies to help children manage and reduce anxiety and stress symptoms.
When: Monday March 6th, 2023 07:00 PM (ACDT)
Calm and Co-operative Kids Webinar 2
Learn to support children with big feelings – to manage frustration, have difficulties managing impulses and feel more co-operative.
When: Monday March 20th, 2023 07:00 PM (ACDT)
Calm and Connected Kids Webinar 3
Learn to help children to develop positive friendships and manage peer difficulties.
When: Monday March 27th, 2022 07:00 (ACDT)
Visit Developing Minds to register – https://developingminds.net.au/webinars
Volunteering at Craigburn
We are pleased to welcome back many volunteering opportunities at Craigburn. If you would like to register your interest in volunteering please read the information on the Department’s page on Volunteers and communicate your interest to us via the front office.
There are a number of requirements that need to be completed prior to commencing volunteering including RRHAN training, applying for a WWCC, as well as onsite induction and documentation.
For any questions please contact the front office.
Recent Posts You May Have Missed
- Annual General Meeting – 2023
- Second Hand Uniform Shop – SPORTS DAY T-SHIRTS
- CANTEEN NEWS – Harmony Day Biscuits – Tuesday 21st March
- Sibling Reception Enrolments 2024
- Seaview High School – School Information Brochure
Please save the dates for the following events:
- NAPLAN Practice Test – Tuesday 28 February
- Student Free Day – Friday 10 March
- NAPLAN starts – Years 3 and 5 – Wednesday 15 March
- Annual General Meeting – Monday 20 March
- Harmony Day – Tuesday 21 March
- Year 3-5 Swimming – from Monday 27 March
- Year 6 Aquatics – Tuesday 28 March
- School Disco – Friday 24 March
- Student-led Conferences – Monday 27 March – Wednesday 5 April
- Sports Day returns to Term 1 – Thursday 6 April – early dismissal 2.10pm
- Student Free Day – Tuesday 11 April
- End of Term – Friday 14 April – Early Dismissal
- Swimming Week Reception Year 2 – Monday 1 – Friday 5 May
- Mother’s Day Stall – Thursday 11 May
- Mother’s Day Breakfast – Friday 12 May
- Southern Heights Cross Country – Tuesday 16 May
- Walk 2 School Safely Day – Friday 19 May
- National Sorry Day – Friday 26 May
- Reconciliation Week – Monday 29 May
- Monarch’s Official Birthday – Public Holiday – Monday 12 June
- End of Term – Friday 7 July – Early Dismissal
- School Photos – Tuesday 15 August
- Book Week Parade – Friday 25 August
- Father’s Day Stall – Wednesday 30 August
- Father’s Day Breakfast – Thursday 31 August
- Student Free Day – Friday 1 September
- School Closure Day – Monday 4 September
- Premier’s Challenges End – Friday 8 September
- RUOK Day – Thursday 14 September
- End of Term – Friday 29 September – Early Dismissal
- World Teachers Day – Friday 27 October
- Melbourne Cup Day – Tuesday 7 November
- Remembrance Day – School – Friday 10 November
- Reception Transition 1 – Wednesday 15 November
- Reception Transition 2 – Wednesday 22 November
- Student Free Day – Friday 24 November
- Reception Transition 3 – Wednesday 29 November
- Craigburn’s Got Talent – Tuesday 5 December
- Celebration Night – Monday 11 December
- Year 6 Graduation – Wednesday 13 December