Swimming lessons for Reception – Year 5 students and Aquatics Year 6 are a compulsory Department for Education (DfE) program that all public schools are involved in. The program is run by qualified swimming instructors employed by DfE.
Again this year Reception – Year 5 Craigburn Primary School students will visit the S.A. Aquatic Centre at Marion to participate in this program, while the Year 6 students will head to Port Noarlunga to participate in Aquatics.
DfE Water Safety Education program provides an educational experience that:
- is designed to encourage students to think for themselves, make good decisions and understand the consequences through simulated open water and personal survival strategies
- promotes confidence and awareness by providing opportunities for student to develop skills and knowledge that can help to keep them and others safe in a variety of aquatic environments
- focuses on what primary school children are able to learn in their school program to ensure they are able to save themselves in potentially dangerous situations
- The program is based on the belief that “If we only have one opportunity to teach kids what they should do if they fall into open water, these are the key skills they actually need to learn”
Due to the size of our school and the facilities available at the Aquatic Centre e.g. pool space, meeting areas, bus drop off and collection times, the Reception – Year 5 swimming program will take place over two weeks as follows:
- Years 3 – 5 Monday 27th March to Friday 31st March
- Reception – Year 2 Monday 1st May to Friday 5th May
The Year 6 Aquatics will be held at Port Noarlunga Aquatic Centre on Tuesday 28th March.
- Information and invoices have been sent home. Please note the due date for payment)
- Reception – Year 2 information and invoices will be forwarded to families in the coming weeks.
- The cost of swimming/aquatics varies from year to year which is dependent on transport costs, pool entry fee and a small equipment levy. DfE covers the cost of employing swimming instructors.
- As a school we always source multiple quotes and aim to find the best option and experience for our students while also being conscious of the price for families. Unfortunately the costs associated with swimming are mostly outside of our control.