Our Sports Day was once again a great success, and we would like to thank all the students, staff, and families who contributed to making it such a wonderful event. The turnout was fantastic, and we were thrilled to see the community come together and enjoy the day in perfect weather conditions. We’d like to offer our congratulations to Woodforde for winning the sports day shield for the third year in a row, closely followed by Fraser, Bradman and Riley.
We would like to extend a special acknowledgement to Karen Pettman who coordinated the day and attended to all levels of organisation, as well as the sports day committee, canteen staff, and parent volunteers for their combined efforts in making the day a success.
We would also like to commend all the students who participated with such positive team spirit and came dressed in their house team colours. A big ‘shout out’ goes to the sports leaders for their excellent leadership over recent weeks and on the day itself. They worked collaboratively and enthusiastically to prepare and rehearse the health hustle and team chants, which provided high levels of motivation for their team members. We also appreciated the effort they put in, by arriving at school early on Friday to set up for the day.
Well done to everyone involved in making the day such a success!
This week represents National Volunteer Week (NVW) – an annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of our nation’s volunteers. Volunteering Australia has announced the theme for National Volunteer Week 2023 – ‘The Change Makers.’
As part of National Volunteer Week, we acknowledge and thank our school’s ‘Change Makers’ being parents, carers and friends who make a difference and help our school in so many ways – e.g. canteen, school garden, classroom support, sports coaching, fundraising, excursions, library, governing council, discos, uniform shop, special interest areas and much more. Thank you for your ongoing support.
We have been extremely grateful for the excellent volunteer support we have received so far this year, with support in many school activities and events, including – excursions, swimming, sports coaching, canteen, Mother’s Day stall, Sports Day and more.
On Thursday 25th May, we invite Craigburn parents, carers and friends to a special volunteer presentation and morning tea – as an opportunity to connect with our parent community and share how to get involved in being a school volunteer.
This will be held in the Library at 9.00am.
Please save the date / time, Thursday 25th May – 9.00am – 10.00am.
To register your attendance please, email the school – firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 8270 4144.
National Walk Safely to School Day – Friday 19 May
This Friday, 19 May is National Walk Safely to School Day when all primary school children are encouraged to walk and commute safely to school.
Walk Safely to School Day asks that we all consider our transport habits and try to incorporate more walking as part of a healthy, active way to get around. And although walking all the way to school isn’t realistic for many of us, it’s quite easy to figure out how you can build a walk into your family’s daily routine.
You can teach your child the healthy habit of walking more by:
- Walking with them the whole way to school
- If they get the bus or train, walk past your usual stop and get on at the next stop
- If you have to drive, park the car a few blocks away from the school and walk the rest of the way.
Regular exercise like walking with your child not only helps them (and you!) beat chronic problems like obesity, heart disease, behavioural and mental health issues and diabetes. It also gives you a great opportunity to teach your child safe ways to behave around roads and traffic.
Students and families who walk to school on Friday will be greeted at the school gate by our student leaders and leadership and are welcome to receive a fresh piece of fruit (kindly donated by our local Woolworths Store) to help continue their healthy start to the school day.
Mother’s Day Special Morning / Gift Stall
We would like to extend our thanks to all the parents who helped out at our Mother’s Day stall last Thursday. Your time and effort made all the difference in helping students find a special gift for their mums. We hope that all the mums in our school community had a wonderful Mother’s Day and felt appreciated and loved.
Sunsmart – Hats
The school uses a combination of sun protection measures for all outdoor activities during terms 1, 3 and 4 (or 1 August to 30 April – and whenever UV levels reach 3 and above at other times. A combination of skin protection measures are considered when planning outdoor events e.g. camps, excursions, sporting activities and swimming carnivals.
Student Free Days / School Closure Dates for 2023
A reminder that our Governing Council has endorsed the remaining student free and school closure days for 2023. Please add the dates below to your calendars / diaries.
- Student Free Day 3 – Friday 1 September – Term 3 Week 6
- School Closure Day – Monday 4 September – Term 3 Week 7
- Friday 17 November – Term 4 Week 5
If you need to report a positive COVID case, please provide the following information by phone 82704144 or email:
- Name of your child / year level / class.
- Date symptoms first appeared.
- Date of the positive test and the type of test taken – RAT, PCR or both.
- Last day your child attended school / OSHC.
A friendly reminder to keep your child/ren home if they are:
- experiencing any COVID like symptoms.
Recent Posts You May Have Missed
Yearly Planner – Dates to Note
Please save the dates for the following events:
- Southern Heights Cross Country – Tuesday 16 May
- Walk 2 School Safely Day – Friday 19 May
- Volunteer Morning Tea – Thursday 25 May
- National Sorry Day – Friday 26 May
- Reconciliation Week – Monday 29 May
- Monarch’s Official Birthday – Public Holiday – Monday 12 June
- End of Term – Friday 7 July – Early Dismissal
- School Photos – Tuesday 15 August
- Book Week Parade – Friday 25 August
- Father’s Day Stall – Wednesday 30 August
- Father’s Day Breakfast – Thursday 31 August
- Student Free Day – Friday 1 September
- School Closure Day – Monday 4 September
- Premier’s Challenges End – Friday 8 September
- RUOK Day – Thursday 14 September
- End of Term – Friday 29 September – Early Dismissal
- World Teachers Day – Friday 27 October
- Melbourne Cup Day – Tuesday 7 November
- Remembrance Day – School – Friday 10 November
- Reception Transition 1 – Wednesday 15 November
- Reception Transition 2 – Wednesday 22 November
- Student Free Day – Friday 24 November
- Reception Transition 3 – Wednesday 29 November
- Craigburn’s Got Talent – Tuesday 5 December
- Celebration Night – Monday 11 December
- Year 6 Graduation – Wednesday 13 December