Welcome back to Term 3, we hope all students, families and staff enjoyed the holiday break and are ready for the term ahead.
Thank you for taking time to read through this week’s wrap with information and news to start the term.
- Ella Bird and Amy Bennett will be teaching the C14 year 3 class for the term, while Chantelle MacMahon is on leave. Ella Bird will be working on Monday and Tuesday, and Amy on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Sophie McDonald will be teaching the E24 year 1 class for the term.
The following staff are on leave to start the new term
- Tristan Fergusson Year 6 and Karen Prideaux Year 2 – both returning in week 2 – our regular relief teachers covering.
- Adriana Mezic and Chantelle McMahon – both on long service leave for the term.
Student use of mobile phones and personal devices policy
Through various media sources, you would be aware that this year the State Government has introduced a ban on students using mobile phones and personal devices at all government schools.
- The policy provides direction to students, staff, and families about managing personal devices that students choose to bring to school.
- For the purposes of the policy, personal devices include mobile phones, smart watches and other digital devices that are capable of sending or receiving messages or calls and/or able to connect to the internet, and personal laptops or iPads that are not owned by the school and have not been brought to school by the student under a separate Bring Your Own iPad agreement.
- In line with the State Government’s ban, students are required to turn off all mobile phones and other personal devices (including smart watches), or switch them to flight mode and put them in their school bag.
- Students can continue to bring personal devices and use them before and after school for safety while travelling and to keep in touch with families and other commitments, outside of school hours.
- Students may only use their personal device if they have received approval from the school to use it for an exempted purpose. Please see the policy for more detail about the circumstances where students may be permitted to use their personal devices.
- If you need to get in touch with your child during school hours, please ensure you use the school’s formal communication channels (school phone / email) so staff can assist with passing on a message or connecting you with your child. Likewise, we will always contact you directly where there is a need to do so.
- Please encourage your child to always speak to a staff member in the first instance if they are feeling unwell or experiencing an issue at school so we can offer appropriate support and follow up. To ensure our duty of care obligations, all instances where a student requires early collection need to be arranged via the school office and using formal sign-out processes.
- More information about the statewide ban, and why it has been put in place, can be found on the Department for Education’s website at: http://phonesoff.sa.gov.au/
Term Planner – Key Dates
Please read further on for updates to the special activities and events for terms 3 and 4. We are especially looking forward to many whole school events including Book Week and Celebration Night.
The Friends of Craigburn parent group are looking forward to sharing more information about 2 exciting events for students and parents, being a Colour Fun Run and Quiz Night in early Term 4. Dates listed further below.
Thank you to families who have contributed to the Craigburn gratitude basket which can be found in the front office. This meaningful project involves returning kindness to our local community by supporting those currently facing hardship. We invite all able members of our school community to participate in this meaningful initiative. Read more here.
Whole School Photos
These are scheduled for Tuesday 15th August – Week 4 of Term 3. Details here.
Moving School in 2024?
To support our staff and class planning for 2024, should your child/ren be leaving Craigburn Primary School (aside from current Year 6s) to attend another school next year, please notify us via the front office. Thank you.
Change of Contact Details
To help us keep up to date with family and emergency contact details please contact the front office with your change of details.
Student Free Days / School Closure Dates
A reminder that our Governing Council has endorsed the remaining student free and school closure days for 2023. Please refer to the dates below.
- Student Free Day – Friday 1 September – Term 3 Week 6
- School Closure Day – Monday 4 September – Term 3 Week 7
- Friday 17 November – Term 4 Week 5
On student free days, staff will be undertaking professional learning relevant to our improvement priorities.
OSHC will be open for bookings on the student free days, however will be closed on the school closure day.
2024 Reception Transition
Families that have a sibling enrolment for starting Reception at Craigburn in 2024 will receive a letter early this term, outlining information for transition visits, which will occur over three consecutive Wednesdays on 15th, 22nd and 29th of November.
Mid-year intake in schools
In 2024, schools will be introducing a mid-year intake, with children starting reception in Term 1 or Term 3. Term 1 students will complete 4 terms of reception and term 3 students will complete 6 terms of reception. We expect to receive more information from the Department this term.
- Second Hand Uniform Shop – $1 FLASH SALE!
- Sport Stacking
- School Photos – Tuesday 15th August 2023
- Cultivating Gratitude – Donation Baskets
Yearly Planner / Key Dates
- Monday 24/7 – First Day of Term
- Friday 28/7 – School Group Tour (9.15am)
- Saturday 5/8 – Pedal Prix, Tailem Bend
- Tuesday 8/8 – Sapsasa Basketball
- Monday 14/8 – ICAS competitions start
- Monday 14/8 – Governing Council Meeting
- Tuesday 15/8 – Whole School Photos
- Friday 18/8 – National Day Action – Bullying Prevention
- Monday 21/8 – Book Week begins
- Monday 21/8 – Festival of Music Choir Rehearsal
- Thursday 24/8 – Book Fair Starts
- Friday 25/8 – Book Week Dress Up Day
- Monday 28/8 – Footsteps begins – Mondays
- Wednesday 30/8 – Young Environmental Leaders Visit – YELP
- Thursday 31/8 – Father’s Day Breakfast and Stall
- Friday 1/9 – Student Free Day – Royal Adelaide Show begins
- Monday 4/9 – School Closure
- Friday 8/9 – Premier’s Challenges End
- Thursday 14/9 – RUOK Day
- Monday 18/9 – Governing Council Meeting
- Tuesday 19/9 – Festival of Music Choir – Festival Theatre Performance
- Friday 29/9 – End of Term 3 – Early Dismissal 2.10pm
- Monday 16/10 – Start Term 2
- Friday 20/10 – Quiz Night
- Friday 27/10 – World Teachers Day
- Monday 30/10 – Governing Council Meeting
- Friday 3/11 – Colour Fun Run
- Tuesday 7/11 – Melbourne Cup
- Friday 10/11 – Remembrance Day Assembly for Sat 11/11
- Friday 10/11 – School Disco
- Wednesday 15/11 – Reception Transition 1
- Friday 17/11 – Student Free Day
- Wednesday 22/11 – Reception Transition 2
- Monday 27/11 – Governing Council Meeting
- Wednesday 29/11 – Reception Transition 3
- Tuesday 5/12 – Craigburn’s Got Talent
- Monday 11/12 – Celebration Night
- Tuesday 12/12 – Early Years Fun Day
- Wednesday 13/12 – Class Visits new classes for 2024, End of Year Reports sent home
- Wednesday 13/12 – Year 6 Graduation
- Thursday 14/12 – Year 6 Celebration Day / Lunch
- Friday 15/12 – End of Term 4 – Early Dismissal