Music is an important part of what makes Craigburn Primary such a great school. This year, once again, our school will be participating in the Festival of Music, which allows hundreds of public schools across South Australia to perform together at the Festival Theatre. On top of this, the choir will also have chances to perform at school assemblies, performing arts showcases and at Celebration Night.
Participation in the school choir is a good way for students to learn specialised vocal skills, harmonies and more complex musical skills. Students do not need to be the best singers, but must be willing to work in a team environment to achieve shared goals. There is a high expectation for commitment, behaviour and performance skills.
SENIOR CHOIR (Years 5 – 6 voluntary)
- Meet and rehearse weekly on Thursday afternoons 1:30 – 2:30pm (starting in week 3).
- Students learn the repertoire for the Primary Schools Music Festival which is performed at the Festival Theatre at the end of term 3.
- Students are required to purchase a choir book and download the free Festival of Music app. Additional costs may be for travel to 2x off-site rehearsals, Festival of Music T-shirts and tickets to the performance in September (participating students free).
- Seventeen places are available for Craigburn students at this year’s Festival Theatre Performance. Preference will be based on student attendance, effort and learning the repertoire – however all students are given the opportunity to sing at all other opportunities throughout the year.
I (Jimmy Marin) will be the choir teacher this year, as well as the main point of contact for any further enquiries. Felicity Williams will be returning as piano accompanist.
During weeks 3 – 6 of Term 1, students will be able to experience and try-out for the choir. After this time, we will be seeking a commitment from students to confirm participation for the duration of the year.
TROUPE (Years 5 – 6 must audition)
The Performance Troupe is the group of students that do the movement to some choir songs during the performances.
Each year the Festival of Music offers a unique opportunity to work with a professional Artistic Director, to develop students’ performance skills by:
- experiencing a variety of dance styles
- working in a team
- building confidence, resilience and persistence.
All this AND the opportunity to perform at the most prestigious venue in Adelaide, the Adelaide Festival Theatre!
This is an amazing experience for students who love to perform on the big stage.
Troupe auditions will be held at
- Underdale HS – Wednesday 13 March
Audition #1 4:15-5:00pm
Audition #2 5:15-6:00pm
- Norwood PS – Thursday 14 March
Audition #3 4:15-5:00pm
Audition #4 5:15-6:00pm
For more information and to book an audition for a spot in the Troupe, head to the Festival of Music website:
HOSTS (Years 5 – 6 must audition)
Hosts present two Festival of Music concerts in September at the Festival Theatre. They are front and centre for much of the show. They have clear speaking voices, expressive personalities and create a positive rapport with the audience, introducing choir songs and guest artists. Hosts work as a team throughout Term 2 and 3, supported by adult mentors to develop skills in the art of acting and public speaking.
- Hosts must be public school students in years 5 or 6.
- Hosts are required to attend all workshops, including 2 Sunday dates, allocated concert rehearsals and performances.
- Hosts must be available for fortnightly Thursday rehearsals during Terms 2 and 3 from 4:15pm to 6:00pm at the Festival of Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig and two offsite choir rehearsals in late August.
Host auditions will be held on:
- Wednesday 6 March at Fulham North Primary School, Cheadle Street, Henley Beach, 4:15pm to 6:00pm.
- Thursday 7 March at the PSMF office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig, 4:15pm to 6:00pm and, if required, Friday 8 March at the PSMF office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig, 4:15-6:00pm
For more information and to book an audition spot as a host, head to the Festival of Music website:
Performing Arts Teacher